PDA

View Full Version : a couple powdercoating questions

85200xrider
12-30-2009, 10:17 PM
ok so the wife bought me a powdercoating system for xmas.originally i was going to use my inlaws shed and his compressor. but his compressor has an inline oiler. so im going to buy a compressor for my workshop.

the problem is...my workshop is in my basement. the wife is asking if there is any odor with powdercoating. i have no clue because i have never done it.

http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/Displayitem.taf?itemnumber=93271

is that going to be a sufficient compressor to run it?

i have both an oven and a toaster oven for the baking process but i dont have one big enough to do my frame.

will a automotive spray booth be good enough to powdercoat my frame? my wifes uncle owns a shop and i figured if that would work i could rent his booth for a little bit in order to powsercoat my frame

jensenracing77
12-30-2009, 10:36 PM
i don't think a booth will get the job done. you have to maintain i think 300 degrees for 20 or 30 minutes. a friend built his oven and insulated it and uses a salamander heater for heat.

86trizinger
12-30-2009, 10:56 PM
My powders don't cure until 450 deg.. Only way to a frame is a larger oven or make one.

As far as the basement goes.. I powdercoat in my basement. I have no problem with fumes at all. Practice on small parts first to make sure you have a thick enough enough coating on it.

85200xrider
12-30-2009, 11:30 PM
As far as the basement goes.. I powdercoat in my basement. I have no problem with fumes at all. Practice on small parts first to make sure you have a thick enough enough coating on it.

i planned on practicing on my small spare parts.

im jus worried about the fumes because i have 4 kids :-/ 2 of which are under 4

what is your setup like?

Dirtcrasher
12-31-2009, 09:35 AM
Get a Craigslist free oven, strip all the junk off of it. You can do nearly an entire engine in one shot.....

You only need about 8psi to run the gun so just about any compressor will do.

Get your tape, hooks and plugs at absolutepowdercoating.com - inexpensive yet great products!