PDA

View Full Version : modifying swingarm?

Daltons200x
12-29-2009, 11:56 PM
hey guys, im messing with the suspention a little bit on my trike and for the shock i have to clear i would have to take a small notch out of the center cross brace. would this greatly affect the strength of the swingarm? or would it be ok.or would i be able to modify that part of the swingarm, but do more than just make the notch i need? sorry its a little confusing its just kinda hard to word what im thinkin

Thanks for any help,Dalton

Billy Golightly
12-29-2009, 11:58 PM
Removing any material from a suspension component isn't a good thing for safety and longevity. Without even seeing a picture, I'd highly reccomend against it.

Daltons200x
12-30-2009, 12:25 AM
yea i kinda guessed that..i guess this would be a better question. how would i modify the swigarm without loseing any strength? like i know people stretch them and stuff so as long as i get it all welded up and solid again would i lose alot of strenght?

dcreel
12-30-2009, 12:56 AM
What exactly are you trying to do? Are you trying to mount a swingarm from one bike to another? What is the swingarm from and what is it going on?

Daltons200x
12-30-2009, 10:29 AM
the swingarm is a stock 200x swingarm but the shock is longer than a 200x shock, and its like s 1/4 of an inch from bolting right into were the 200x linkage bolts to the swinger on the bottom. if that makes any sense. im probably just wastin my time cuz idk anuthing aboutthe whole geometry of the suspention and im probably throwing it way off but it was a cool shock i found and i just wanted to see what it would be like if got it to fit. if anything i just gonna grab another swingarm to experiment with.

atctim
12-30-2009, 11:27 AM
another thing to consider if you are not sure what the shock is off of - is this - was it a multi link suspension? the 200X is - if it was not - the shock will either ride way to stiff or way too soft.

brapp
12-30-2009, 01:23 PM
well first off try boltign it to the 200x location and beck the adjustmenbt off the spring and create a lil suspension sag . so the ride height is a lil better when your on it .

oldskool83
12-30-2009, 01:46 PM
stay with the 200x shock, if your brave try a xr200 shock, but thats it unless you wanna get really custom.

leevarnado
12-30-2009, 07:30 PM
you can also cut and refab your linkage