PDA

View Full Version : Reviving a 200x. Many Questions

jmcgill
12-27-2009, 08:31 PM
I just got my hands on a 1985 200x that has been sitting in a barn since the early 1990's (and boy does it look like it). After brushing some of the crap and dust off of it, I have had some time to make an appraisal. It is complete aside from the muffler, which is a nice thing, the tank doesn't have any holes in it, and seems to be rust free inside. The motor turns over and has compression, the kick start works fine, and the transmission shifts to neutral and at least first. All the plastic is in great shape and the seat is good.

So, I started to tear into it and the first thing I did was take the carb off....it was varnished pretty well, so I cleaned it up and got it free and moving with carb cleaner. I put it back on and attempted to get it to fire, so I could see if there was anything wrong with the motor, in terms of the valves, and so forth. Unfortunately, I can't get it to start for the life of me. I have spark...I tested it by touching the plug to the fins while I cranked. Best I can do is to get it to pop a few times when it's choked. The air filter is gone from the original box...so I don't know how that would affect the starting of the motor.

It seems like it's flooding pretty badly....after about 10 kicks, I can take the plug out and it's soaking wet with gas.

Any ideas on how I can get this thing running?

Thanks,

Joe

shortline10
12-27-2009, 08:35 PM
Did you clean both jets while the carb was apart ?

jmcgill
12-27-2009, 08:53 PM
I had the whole carb apart, all the screws out. I know I cleaned the main jet. Where was the other one?

honda200x1987
12-27-2009, 09:00 PM
unfortunatley when a carb has been sitting for a while it can cause alot of problems with your jets and the carb is just completely ruined.You will probably have to get a rebuild kit but even that might not fix the problem due to varish build up on the carb walls. Just try cleaning it completely including all jets soaking in carb cleaner. or if you want my opinion ,I would just buy a new carb to fit your model.

shortline10
12-27-2009, 09:01 PM
I had the whole carb apart, all the screws out. I know I cleaned the main jet. Where was the other one?

Yes thier is a small jet next to the main jet . will need a small flat head screwdriver to get it out . just clean it up and put a new spark plug and I bet it will run great .

jmcgill
12-27-2009, 09:04 PM
I did have that jet out and I cleaned it up. I didn't mess with the pilot screw....so I guess I should go back to the drawing board with the carb first. I'll make sure that the valves are somewhat adjusted tomorrow as well.

I'm going to have to make a parts order on it anyway about it. It needs a new master cylinder for the front brake and that muffler. Also, the rear shock is REALLY spongy.

honda200x1987
12-27-2009, 09:10 PM
one other thing, I pulled a mint low hour , like new 1986 200sx from a garage. It had been sitting in there since 1988! It had a carmalized carb to. I had to replace the main jet. I cleaned the main jet thinking it would be fine but it seems that jet is very sensitive. I WOULD NOT IDLE RIGHT AT ALL. I replaced it with a new one and it purred like a kitten. The slightest scarring on those jets will cause problems, the varnish ruined that jet. Like i said this was a mint 1988 200sx with only one day of riding on it! It just sat for 20 years and always garage kept.

harryredtrike
12-27-2009, 11:09 PM
clean the pilot jet again and dont cram something in it and score all too haiti's

MonroeMike
12-27-2009, 11:47 PM
Read this before you clean the carb again.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/showthread.php?23819-Your-carburetor-is-FINE!!-Carb-cleaning-101

daniel_250r
12-28-2009, 12:39 AM
don't try to start it without an air filter!!!!

jmcgill
12-28-2009, 10:02 AM
Well, I can't get to a Honda shop anytime soon, and my air filter literally dissolved in my hands. Is there a quick substitute for it? Also, I just had the carb off again, and cleaned ALL the jets. Put it back on and same thing....sputter, sputter, die. If I try to give it some throttle while kicking, it is REALLY hard to kick and won't even attempt to fire.

oscarmayer
12-28-2009, 10:04 AM
i recommend a rebuild kit from ebay. they run about $20 shipped and provide all new jets and screws!!! all you really need is your slide, spring, housings and float.

jmcgill
12-28-2009, 10:18 AM
How many 'orings" are on one of these 200x carbs? When I took it apart, there were none. I'm guessing one or more of them had disintegrated over time. My 200x manual only shows one 'oring' on the pilot screw.

jmcgill
12-28-2009, 10:41 AM
I guess I'm going to have to overhaul the carb completely.....or buy another one. It's flooding VERY badly...so badly that it's shooting gas out the exhaust. I'm guessing that's the carburetor not being right because it has spark and compression. I've never seen a 4 stroke motor flood this badly.

oscarmayer
12-28-2009, 11:09 AM
yea the carb is shot. you need a rebuilt kit minimum.
there's the oring on the pilot screw, the one on the bowl, the one on the bowl drain screw, the one on the lower jet access screw on the bottom and i think 1 more.

the kit dose not just include the orings it also includes new gaskets, new jets, new idel and mixture screws and springs for the screws.

they are well worth the $. if your not sure about rebuiulding it yourself, send it to me and i'll do it for ya and even test it to ensure it's working properly. (you will still need to adjust to your engine but i can test it's function.)

jmcgill
12-28-2009, 11:28 AM
Just got it to fire up....I had it idling for about 3 minutes, smoking like a chimney. Unfortunately, it ran out of gas, and now I can't get it started again. Seems to not have hardly any compression now that I got it running once....maybe the rings are on the way out?

Still need the carb kit too....LOL.

drkilldrmz
12-28-2009, 11:45 AM
don't try to start it without an air filter!!!!

Why Not???

Trimotomike
12-28-2009, 09:08 PM
My 83 was doing close to the same thing your describing after cleaning the carb out , You can spend $20 or more on a rebuild kit for the old one or you can spend $50 and get a brand spankin new one off ebay . Not a Kehin or Mikuni but a direct copy . I put that baby on and it ran like new . I ended up ordering 1 for my 185s and my ytm200 and now they both run awesome aswell .

mopar_man
12-28-2009, 09:19 PM
maybe the rings are on the way out?

Being that it sat for almost 20 years, I would imagine they're probably stuck. Get yourself a compression tester. Do a test and get a reading. Squirt some oil in the plug hole and test again. If your reading goes up, the rings are stuck or shot. You can try a little Sea Foam but being that the thing has sat as long as it has, I would tear it apart and rebuild it. Dirty oil left in an engine for extended periods of time isn't good.