PDA

View Full Version : 350X IMS Gas Tank improved aluminum mounts PICS!

Dirtcrasher
12-25-2009, 05:15 PM
Someone had asked me about these a few months ago. The plastic ones they give you are horrible and crack, hence the reason I made these up. I need to take a picture of these next to the stock IMS mounts.

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/100_0397.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/100_0398.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/100_0399.jpg

They're just 6061 angle stock I drilled/milled and sanded to fit nicely. Now I can just relace the rubber with a piece of fuel line hose if they wear out, I've been running these hard for about 2 years or so.....

Under that fuel line is just a small thin walled sleeve (a bit more than 8MM ID) and it keeps the bolts from only using the rubber. I think that the sleeve was just some 3/8 ID tubing locally available ( I didn't have the lathe running at that time....) The rubber is just a cushion, without the sleeve it would just bulge out/expand when you tighten the bot down.

Anyhow, if you have an IMS and your unhappy with the plastic mounts; These pics give you an idea of how tro make them, or at how I made mine anyhow :D

Merry Xmas :beer

4cfed
12-25-2009, 05:25 PM
looks good!! i have a ims tank on my 200x and absolutly hate it!!! its got a metal mounting bracket ( 200x mounts by there the seat clip rubbers are.. even with a metal mount tank still feels loose and i hat it!! im going back to a metal tank ( prob gona swap tanks with the wifes 200x since thats my old tank anyways)

keep up the good work man!

Dirtcrasher
12-25-2009, 05:54 PM
^ Hey, every model is different.... This tank fits well, has extra capacity and I love it. But other makes/years/models are hated by some people.......

Too bad you hate yours, I wonder if you just need simple fix??

I wish every member was within 4 hours of me (a time you can deal with)

It's so hard to design/improve stuff if you don't have the part and person in front of you!

Post some pics of your issue, I wonder if it can be fixede? Do you otherwise like the tank? or is it big and ugly and doesn't fit well either...........?

4cfed
12-25-2009, 06:40 PM
^ Hey, every model is different.... This tank fits well, has extra capacity and I love it. But other makes/years/models are hated by some people.......

Too bad you hate yours, I wonder if you just need simple fix??

I wish every member was within 4 hours of me (a time you can deal with)

It's so hard to design/improve stuff if you don't have the part and person in front of you!

Post some pics of your issue, I wonder if it can be fixede? Do you otherwise like the tank? or is it big and ugly and doesn't fit well either...........?

i think it would be fixes a few ways... the bracket that bolts to the frame is like 20g metal, i think a 16g would some the loose feeling, also where it is notched for the 'stubs' up further for the front of the tank, fits poorly, maybe a over sized rubber bushing would fix it, Maybe a hockey puck ground down and drilled, take shrouds fit horrible, But thats just my issue since its a ima tank and i have the stock 200x shrouds on it, it would make a nice flat track tank though,
it sits back a little further so mods for tighter turning would be easy.

and the #1 reason i hate it is it leaks gas from the cap, im not sure its the propper cap though, it threads on fine, and as tight as i can get it it will still leak gas when bouncing around. than i have to force it loose with 2 hands to check /add fuel.

and it being a'race tank' its set up for no resurve, and the pet cock is a thread on, soi had to make a fuel system for it using one piece out of a compression fitting, cut down automotive brake line, parts unlimitedmetal fuel shut off, and a clean plastic parts unlimited fuel filter... ill try to get some pics this weekend