PDA

View Full Version : Need Advice - Stuck Axle

rug243
08-13-2003, 06:08 PM
I am trying to remove the axle on an 1983 ATC-200E. Removed the tires, got the axle nuts off, removed the brake cover and drum, but the thing will not budge. Even tried wacking it with a hammer and a piece of 2x4 between the hammer and axle, but still no movement. The bearings roll a little ruff, but it does turn. Any ideas?

trikedude
08-13-2003, 06:31 PM
Try to either heat it LIGHTLY with a torch, or you could also soak it in a good penetrating agent overnight then try whacking it out again if it doesn't just slide out. Your bearings prob got rusted up and froze. Hope that helped.

Mobular
08-13-2003, 08:30 PM
Most likely it's the bearing collar that's rusted to the axle. Tip the trike on it's side, and use some penetrating oil on the bearing and axle. It will bleed through to the collar. Over the course of a few days it should loosen up.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-13-2003, 10:09 PM
:evil: someone deleted my post :evil: hit it with the biggest hammer you have and it should just pop right off

mrman550
08-13-2003, 10:20 PM
if that dont work buy a bigger hammer evil

AirManCam
08-13-2003, 10:25 PM
You could try to do it the hard way and the right way, But if that doesnt work then just buy a bigger hammer :twisted:

bentwrench
08-14-2003, 12:51 AM
OK..I Have held off on this and I hope everyone takes me serious..Put it in the freezer..If your done laughing pay attention. You can not easily, with control heat cast or pot aluminum. If you freeze it (over night) then use a mild heat such as a wagner heat gun or a good hair dryer the softer metal will expand from around the steel axle. This also works for the stuck cold start valves and throttle slide in carbs. This is not a guarantee but has worked for me in many different situations. Use good penetrating oil and wrap it in plastic or a zip-loc bag ( your 'ol lady or Mother will appriciate this) get your shi.. ready the next day and put the blow gun on it as fast as you can. Still might need alittle force but this has really worked for me.

rug243
08-14-2003, 02:51 AM
I used a bigger hammer (mini sledge) and whacked on it - no dice. Actually split the 2x4 block in half after a couple of whacks - I don't think that will work on it’s own. Got it on it's side soaking overnight in Liquid Wrench, but it doesn't look promising - did the same thing last night, but because of the tight fit between the bearings and the axle - not much liquid penetrates down along the axle. I think the freezer idea is good, but my freezer is not big enough - I actually tried to use a can of instant chiller which shoots out a gas at something like -60 degrees, but I don't think I can get it close enough to the spot where it is stuck so that didn’t help. Urgggg. Guess I will see where I am at in the morning and maybe try heat if nothing has loosened up. Thanks for the help - keep the ideas coming if you got em...

Mobular
08-14-2003, 11:36 AM
Since the bearings are junk, pull the rubber seals out of them. The fluid will pass through easier...

08-14-2003, 05:27 PM
Don;t know too much about your model, but are you sure that you have all of the locking devices removed? Some have multiple nuts and lockrings.

rug243
08-14-2003, 05:48 PM
Update: I tried heating the axle with a torch, with no success. The Liquid Wrench bath overnight was not able to penetrate enough to make a difference. Have not lifted the seals yet, as I kind of see that as a last resort. If I can get this axle off the rear center hub, then I am in business - I have another hub with good bearings, but need this axle. But if I trash the bearings on this hub and still can't get it off, I am in worse shape then now. At least the axle spins freely in the hub with no extra play - the bearings roar when it spins with minimal resistance. What happens if I just use it as is for a little while - could it help loosen stuff up, or would it make things worse?

rug243
08-14-2003, 05:53 PM
Re: Nuts and Lock Rings

I am pretty sure I have everything off. Here are the things I removed: wheel, two axle nuts, o-ring, rear brake cover, rear brake drum. I cannot see any lock ring, and the original axle I took off, did not have one on it, although I did have to use a hammer once or twice to get it moving.

TeCaTe_MaN
08-14-2003, 09:10 PM
dont use a 2x4 it is absorbing most of the force of the hit..just hit the end of the axil, but be careful sont mess up the thread sor anything
;)