PDA

View Full Version : Do people want theier 83-85 200X brake pedals tightened up or??

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2009, 05:17 PM
I have one here, thats getting done for free including the bushing and 2 o-rings.

If I go forward with this, I'll move it to the R and D Forum, but for now I need to know who's in or am I wasting my time because I don't even own an <85 200X. I am merely trying to find small jobs that ship cheap that provide you guys with desired results.

I have to machine your (small) side cover and remove/weld/replace the pedal pivot to accept a larger bushing and 2 orings.

This places a bushing over the aluminum that wears on the side cover, which can then be replaced i the future.

For the ultra repair, I can machine it all for a needle bearing but the bearing alone is not so cheap. It needs a hardened sleeve to roll on so I don't think many guys will jump on that bandwagon........ But, it is the ultra fix and an option.

Anyhow, if you send me your small cover and pedal I am going to try and do this for about 30-40$ with ALL new materials installed/included. It will take me well over an hour - closer to 2 hours to machine and weld in the new pedal pivot. I have jigs to build and heat to run in the shop along with grinding discs etc etc..... Just being honest!

If it gets sloppy again, it's about 5$ for all the seals and bushings (you can buy) to tighten it up again and you can do it at home with a vice and simple hand-tools.

In the past, people had to buy that small cover (I believe it is DC'd as of now) and find or buy a nice pedal in order to tighten it up.

I'm not asking anyone to commit/etch this in stone. I just need to know if it's worth me even doing because I want to buy 20 bushings and 3' of material to keep costs down.I would also make a jig so the pedal pivot would be reworked back in the stock location.

If I get enough, I can powder coat them for a reasonable amount. But I can't do that if I do one at a time....... Ovens/Compressors etc all cost money to run.

I've layed it all out for you, if your interested please let me know in this thread before I commit my time and money only to do 2 or 3 of them. I'm fairly sure no one will be able to do it any cheaper with the same result..........

You won't hurt my feelings, just please run your thoughts my way.

VintageHondaKid
12-23-2009, 06:11 PM
If I had an old 200X, I'd definitely send one your way. But unfortunately, I don't.

Dammit!
12-23-2009, 06:23 PM
I have to check my 200x project and see what kind of shape the brake pedal assembly is in. If it needs work, I'd be in BUT, not for a little while. The new job is taking way longer to pick up than I expected so I'm pretty deep in a hole right now.

200XMichigan
12-23-2009, 06:50 PM
I still wanna have it done, but I'm hoping to get an extra pedal and pivot off flee-bay so I can keep riding, and with X-mas I am broke. So I can't really say when, but I will want to have it done. My PVC pipe is only temporary. So I can't really say when other than once I get some cash coming in.

Dirtcrasher
12-23-2009, 07:09 PM
I know it's only been an hour or so......

The thing is that in the past I have offered to do some "fixes", bought the material and then only had 2 or 3 people have that stuff done. So........... Before I spend about 70$ on enough materials to do 10, I just want to make sure I can do at least 10 of them to be worth my time and effort. Or, I'll go down to the hardware store, buy a bronze bushing and repair the one I have already machined.

I know my old 85 200X pedal was trashed LOL!! and I sold it to a guy/ex friend that never paid my father back the rent money he owed him; So, I hope he isn't a member here or I won't ship anything withing a 20 mile radius which is where he lives. Oh, and if you are a member and see this - Thanks so much BRETT for FKNG my family over after I did so many freebies for you. I won't do it again, LESSON LEARNED :D

trizilla
12-24-2009, 03:09 PM
im in for this steve, i have 2 covers but only one pedal right now. i'll hunt for another pedal so i can have both done at the same time. contact me here or ericandwende@gmail.com when your ready to start having them shipped. oh yeah, any idea on total cost pc'd?

racer....X
12-27-2009, 01:06 AM
I would be interested in geting at least one done.I have the original motor from my 2nd x and its sloppy.Whenever i find a new eng. I might want it done too depending on its condition.The running x is not too bad, but might get it done after I get the first one done so it dosent have to be down.

Vealmonkey
12-27-2009, 08:59 AM
Do you have anymore info on the ultimate fix? What total cost might be? I need to do one of these for the laydown 200x engine.

Dirtcrasher
12-27-2009, 02:19 PM
^ Probably 35$- 40$ with all the machining and parts.....

Thats reworking the aluminum (some covers may be too far to save)

I have to grind a cutter and make a jig so I don't have to re-center every one......

Powder coating is this weather is hard for me and I can do it cheap if I can do a few at one pop!

Woodsrider
12-27-2009, 07:21 PM
I will want one done for sure....but the big thing is that I really won't be ready until this summer. It's a project that's in pieces right now...I don't even know how sloppy the pedal is(never rode it)...I just remember when I took it all apart that I was wondering what parts were missing that caused that pedal to be so loose....and when I looked at parts schematics, I couldn't see what was missing. So I'm sorry to say that I'm not with ya timing wise and that I hope you are still interested in doing this 6 or 7 months from now.

racer....X
12-31-2009, 09:22 PM
hey dirtcrasher....when are you planning on starting this project??

harryredtrike
01-01-2010, 07:09 PM
bump,just want everyone to get a chance to see this thread.dc got enough orders to do this?mine is still tight or id do it.