PDA

View Full Version : 1985 honda bigred oil filter

dajeepman
12-23-2009, 02:40 AM
How often do you need to change the oil filter on the big red's ? I just got one that's been setting up for a long time I don't think its ever been changed.

MonroeMike
12-23-2009, 03:18 AM
The manual says "Every 30 operating days".

dajeepman
12-23-2009, 03:22 AM
Thanks

Im gonna try to see if a honda stealership can order me one.

1985bigred
01-17-2011, 06:56 PM
i have a 1985 bigred 250 and need a oil filter can anyone tell me a website or place to buy one??? :crazy: trailpro

Jason125m
01-17-2011, 07:16 PM
they use a standard filter that 90% of dealers sell.. go to your local honda dealer.

Thorpe
01-17-2011, 07:51 PM
Fram oil filter #CH6015 You can usually get them at your local auto part store....

cosmohawk
01-17-2011, 10:30 PM
I have and always will be a firm believer in frequent oil changes. Changing the filter depending upon use and abuse. Never skimp on good quality oil, and a real Honda oil filter. I have tried aftermarket air and oil filters (namely Emgo), and they just don't have the quality. I've had the small pleated oil filters delaminate and fall apart taking them out...and air filters that say "they fit"...and they just don't.

If you're doing an oil change once in a while...use quality stuff.

If the bike has been sitting long, check the condition of the oil in it...if it's black and nasty looking, dump it out, put in some cheap fresh stuff and clean oil filter...run the bike for a bit, and change it out again.

I had someone bring me their bike...wondering what the knocking noise was coming from the motor...roasted connecting rod bearing...there was about a cup full of black sludge oil in the motor...filter was blocked. I've seen them blow wads of cash at the bar...but they told me they couldn't afford to change their oil. BS.

Sorry for the rant...just don't skimp...you won't regret spending a few extra dollars. Honda parts are still GOOD parts! Correct me if I'm wrong...but Honda hasn't sold out to the chinese crap / mass production machine yet.

Mondexbrute
01-17-2011, 10:34 PM
If you gotta have the best get this...http://highlifter.com/p-1971-hlrof-311.aspx its kinda pricey but will save you money over time.

1985bigred
01-17-2011, 10:54 PM
THANKS ALOT i found one at my local atv supply eather a fram or k&n i think im gonna go with the k&n! what oil do you recomend, im a little scared to use synthetic but im not sure.
thanks again :naughty: trailpro

Mondexbrute
01-17-2011, 11:00 PM
I use Maxima ATV Premium High Performance 4 cycle oil 10w 40. Seems to work just fine, I change my oil about every 5 or 6 rides.

tri again
01-18-2011, 07:49 AM
Fram oil filter #CH6015 You can usually get them at your local auto part store....

wow

check out the fram comments on
www.ford-trucks.com

87-96 trucks forum
PAges of horror stories. about frams falling apart and destroying engines.

Maybe bike filters are different.

oscarmayer
01-18-2011, 08:30 AM
fram sucks guys. stay away from them! i can tell you i myself have also lost motors to fram falling appart and plugging up the oil pump and gallies. when asked why their items fail all they do is say, we can send you a new filter. Screw fram. they make cheap junk..
Wix is an awesome filter. Wix actually used to make the honda filters and may still do.

Thorpe
01-18-2011, 12:52 PM
I have never had any issues with Fram's before... Certainly wouldnt use a Emgo though! Maybe I will stick in a Wix. I like the Valvoline ATV 10w40 in my BR...