PDA

View Full Version : snorkel

live2rideatc
12-20-2009, 10:55 PM
i was wondering if anyone knew what hoses need snorkeld along with my homeade airbox snorkel i already have?

old-yellow
12-20-2009, 11:25 PM
Any breathers that come off the carburetor and motor needs to be snorkeled

Name Brand
12-21-2009, 05:06 AM
Anywhere there is oil or heat should have a vent to let positive air pressure created by heat to escape. Any case with gears and oil will likely have a vent hose on it. Examples being truck differentials, transfer cases, engines (PCV valve), even tail rotor gearboxes on Blackhawk helicopters are vented. You may find vent hoses on drum brake setups too (the SX rear brake for example); this allows the positive air pressure created by the heat that occurs to escape, without having to push through and possibly damage any seals. On a single cylinder engine like a 200cc Honda, the crankcase vent allows air to rush in and out of the case as the piston moves. The piston is displacing 200cc on the combustion side as well as the crankcase side. You can feel the air moving if you put your hand above the end of that hose with the engine running.

Factory vent hoses are typically painfully short and are a easy way for water and other contaminates to enter. Lengthening these hoses and raising them on the machine is a good way to combat this. Many people put them to the top of the steering neck on their wheelers. If the hoses can be put somewhere that will likely stay dry that's even better. (Some offroad trucks I've seen have run them into the cab)

On my SX, I put all my vent hoses into my airbox; which I then snorkel when I come to a water obstacle. Those hoses include the crankcase, rear differential, and rear drum brake. The hoses are simply pushed snug through holes I drilled in the top of the airbox. I put them at the top of the box just in case water gets in there too. With this setup I have not contaminated my fluids as I did with the stock setup.

Proper venting and guarding against contamination is critical and often overlooked.

daniel_250r
12-21-2009, 12:59 PM
name brand is right, people think that because the breather on their honda is up at the handle bars it will stay running under water. the crank case breather only goes to about the seat height. you are going to want to silicone the air box lid and cdi cover. and dielectric grease all electrical connections such as the spark plug boot. you may want to think about an exhaust snorkel so you don't have to rev it wide open to keep the water out

live2rideatc
12-22-2009, 08:10 PM
hey danial u got any pics of trailprotrailpro cobra exhaust?
does it sound good?
Loud?

daniel_250r
12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
hey danial u got any pics of trailprotrailpro cobra exhaust?
does it sound good?
Loud?http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rpZPnBYMk_Y <<<<---there, my other vid shows you just how deep you can go with the crank case breather rerouted and the air box sealed

Zach
12-23-2009, 05:09 AM
pretty deep