PDA

View Full Version : Has anyone ever tried a acetone/abs mix to repair fenders?

mkramm
08-12-2003, 11:31 PM
I had an old 70's apache camper with an abs top, the solution for repairing the cracks that would show up was to disolve some finely ground up abs in acetone and then use that to patch the crack. Also where I work they use acetone/abs mix to build speaker enclosures.

I was just wondering does anyone think this method would work for patching those cracked atv fenders? Of course you are going to have to have some color matched abs to disolve.

;)

speed20
08-13-2003, 12:12 AM
I have some stuff thats called "fusor" #108B (they have all different types, i was told that #108B was best for plastic) its made for metals, but works great for me on cracked & broken plastic...My dad said he used to use this stuff (not the same #) when he worked at a place that put limousines and hearses together, they used to put it on to hold the cab on..... (Scary thought) I used to sleep in the hearses when dad went to work on saturdays and sundays because i was too young to stay at home....

Wickedfinger
08-13-2003, 01:13 AM
The best way I know how to fix broken fenders is to call up Dennis Kirk and order a set of new ones. But thats me.

plkmonster2
08-13-2003, 02:00 AM
should work if they are close enuf material to fuse. i would try it on an old fender first tho, or you can try it on the one u want to use, if you dont care

mkramm
08-13-2003, 09:26 AM
I am probably going to try it considering the fenders are cracked up anyway. I will probably put some tape or something on the back & front side to make a "mold" to pour the acetone/abs mix inthat way it should be able to fill the gap.& hold together at same time. I will let you guys know :) Maybe I found a way to resurect that one crack but otherwise fine fender.

MountainRider
08-13-2003, 11:46 AM
Sounds like that might work mkramm. Keep us posted on how it goes. A couple of pics of the process might be helpful too. I have a couple of cracks that I might try it on too.