PDA

View Full Version : big red jet kit?

live2rideatc
12-18-2009, 10:28 PM
hey guys i'm new to 3ww and i was wondering if they made a preformance jet kit for an 84 200es big red. help i greatly appriciated

3Razors
12-18-2009, 10:37 PM
Nope there is none. Keep the jetting stock as honda had it perfect from the factory.

live2rideatc
12-18-2009, 10:48 PM
ok thanks i appriciate it

Jeckel
12-18-2009, 11:17 PM
You could just buy a bigger carb and put good filter (High air flow) and aftermarket exhaust on the machine and jet as needed. Should make a nice difference, but you are limited though. Just cause of the nature of the Trike you are trying to beef up. Not designed for High Perf.

Thorpe
12-18-2009, 11:19 PM
You can get larger jets for your BR from a dealer... I think the last set of jets I bought, paid about 3 bucks a piece for them...

live2rideatc
12-18-2009, 11:25 PM
ok how big of carb do i need or off of wat kind of bike?

and do the jets make a pretty good difference in the power of your bike?

3Razors
12-18-2009, 11:42 PM
Your not going to make any significant performance increase on a big red with a carb and pipe. The stock motor setup has a very low compression piston and very mild cam (for rock solid reliability), if you want to make it faster you'd have to go inside the motor and address those issues first. Even then its still not going to be worth the $$$ for not much performance gained, constant tinkering with jetting, and less reliability. The stock performance of the bigred is plenty for what it was intended for.

live2rideatc
12-18-2009, 11:50 PM
ok well i dont think im gonna listen to you
you said they dont make a jet kit for it
and the guy after that said he just bought some last week

3Razors
12-18-2009, 11:55 PM
Haha ok man. A "jet kit" and buying individualy sold jets are completely different things. Go buy the biggest jet you can possibly find, that will definately give you the most power;) Good luck

live2rideatc
12-18-2009, 11:59 PM
i didnt say i was gonna buy anything
i was just wondering if they made one
and you answered that for me thanks
im just seeing what other people have to say

3Razors
12-19-2009, 12:15 AM
Its all good. You can buy individual jets for both Keihin and Mikuni carbs (yours is a Keihin) But again the Bigred is not built as a performance machine. Honda engineers spent many hours perfecting the jetting as it is to give the best performance how it comes.

live2rideatc
12-19-2009, 12:21 AM
how do u tell if its a kehin or a ...the other one ?

3Razors
12-19-2009, 12:34 AM
It says the name on the carb. And jets come in all kinds of different variations for different carb models.

live2rideatc
12-19-2009, 12:41 AM
Alright, so you dont think its work the time and money for the jet

3Razors
12-19-2009, 12:48 AM
In your case no. A savvy tuner dealing with high elevation or other changes a change in jetting could be warranted. If your looking for a lil boost make sure all the lil regular stuff is in good working order like having a clean/new air filter, spark plug, oil change and correctly adjust valves (if your mechanically minded for that type of work)

Thorpe
12-19-2009, 01:13 AM
I have to agree with 3Razors... All though there are different jets available, changing jets will do very little to help the performance of a Big Red. (and I myself am a BR owner) The BR was never inteded to be a hotrod. It can be made quicker, with expense, but is never going to make it into the "fast" catergory... I think what 3Razors is trying to say, is that sinking alot of money into a BR to try and make it faster is kinda like taking your old riding lawnmower and trying to make it fast. They are great utility trikes, and will work their hearts out, but that is what they are, utility trikes... I mean, different strokes for different folks, its your trike, do as you please....

iceman atc
12-19-2009, 09:31 AM
I woulnt mess with any thing. Get your self a DIAL A JET for a little less than $100! Itll be the best mod you could ever do!