PDA

View Full Version : Question about drilling rims out?

Kintore
12-18-2009, 09:40 AM
I run nothing but ITP rims on my trike. The baja ones have a bad habit off egging out. I know of multiple that have done this.

I know its not helping that they one side got a little loose, anyways besides the point.

Can I drill out ITP rims to the stock honda hole size and use the self centering OEM nuts? I like them alot and ran a whole season with them in the egged out rims haha.

Will this comprimise the rim? Can this work???

Dirtcrasher
12-18-2009, 09:46 AM
I wouldn't do it on those without the tapered insert....

I guess you could add a small dowel pin at each hub leg. Or tighten the *&&^*^%&^%$#$ out of them!!

oldskool83
12-18-2009, 10:59 AM
maybe if you made some type of spacer to fit in the larger hole and press fit it in like a sleeve?

freaksfix
12-18-2009, 11:41 AM
Ive redrilled them using a hub with no studs at a template, but kept the holes the size of the stud and used a flanged nut havent tryed it with the acorn nuts..

fabiodriven
12-18-2009, 12:22 PM
I bought a set of Douglas wheels for my Tecate last year. When they arrived I quickly realized that they were advertised as the wrong bolt pattern. I didn't have time to send them back, so they refunded me some money and I used my wheel spacers as a template and drilled them out. The Tecate does not use those centering cones or whatever you call those things, they just bolt on. They did have a little bit of wobble to them, but I never got to find out if that was due to the composite wheel spacers that are less than accurate, or my measurements being off. I'm hoping it was the spacers. But yes, it can be done.

oldskool83
12-18-2009, 01:12 PM
wheel spacers can give wobble