PDA

View Full Version : Recently acquired 84 200x and restoring

atchonda
12-15-2009, 11:41 PM
First post here great forum,just picked up a super clean 84 200x have always wanted one and finally got it. Prob Paid too much ($800) but the thing was so clean and they're so rare up here in Northern Ontario I had to have it. Went over it and I think it's been sitting in the corner of a garage for many years. It runs good but smokes like Tommy Chong so as you see the motor is out and I'm gonna redo it, prob just keep it close to stock since I already have an 85 250r that I use for kicks. I have it owned it for 22 years and it is also all original except for pipe(bought it for $350 wouldn't run needed stator) As for the 200x the only issues i seen since tearing it apart are the gas tank has minor rust inside(any way to repair this?), back pads are worn air filter was eaten by meeces(put in new UNI should I jet up??)and stock pipe had some small rust holes which I have JB welded for now (prob go with DG pipe later) I'm changing all fluids bought some repro decals for fender and am thinking of putting some RAZR's on back. What sprocket combos are you guys using with 20'S??(stock tires are cracked) but mostly I wanna have an oem look...Will update but since it's -30c here right now and garage is not heated I'm gonna stick to my sleds right now

racerxxx
12-15-2009, 11:54 PM
:welcome: to the boards

Nice base to start from, you'll find lots of info here. Never heard the Tommy Chong before---I'm gonna have to use that one!:lol: Do a search of rust in gas tank or some variation of that some guys use muriatic acid others use stuff called Evaporust, then you can line the tank with Kreem or Por-15 makes stuff as well. Good luck and keep us updated!

MonroeMike
12-16-2009, 12:11 AM
Welcome, looks like a great project.

Post up some pics of your R too, when you get a chance.

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2009, 12:29 AM
Cheech and Tommy were bro's...............

Glad to hear they're "still smokin"!! :lol:

Welcome aboard!!

atchonda
12-16-2009, 12:45 AM
I knew you guys would want to see the R I could only find 1 quick pick(and I have 'er stored away for winter) I have the 86 seat on here. I still have the 85 250r seat in mint shape I just like the plush foaminess of the 86...ohh yeah and sorry 'bout the helmet I swear I have a better one!

MonroeMike
12-16-2009, 03:43 AM
Nice looking 250r.

Where are you riding at, in the pic?

Autophysn
12-16-2009, 06:21 AM
Nice! Welcome aboard!

atchonda
12-16-2009, 08:46 AM
It's a Canadian sandune ....just old sand pit nearby with 1 great wall o sand!

harryredtrike
12-16-2009, 11:58 AM
looks like a great start to a top shelf restore.love the 200x.welcome to 3ww