PDA

View Full Version : 85 atc 110 - changes valve seals now won't fire??

hdeuce
12-15-2009, 05:10 PM
Well just like the title says. My bike was running great just smoked a little when I started it so I descided to change my valve seals. Odly enough too on this model there was only an exhaust seal?? Anyhow, I got it all back together and it will not fire at all. I took the cdi cover off and rotated the cam again to see if that was my problem but still nothing? Any suggestions?

Thanks.

Yamaha_Rules69
12-15-2009, 08:48 PM
Are the valves adjusted too tight or too loose?

hdeuce
12-15-2009, 09:00 PM
I think I might have put them in backwards. Is that possible? If so, would that cause my problem?

shortline10
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
I dont think its possible to switch the valves , the intake is much larger than the exhaust .
Does it feel like its got compression ? Also their shoud be a new seals for each valve guide .

MudBug
12-15-2009, 09:21 PM
the exhaust valve is smaller, so if you did have them switched around, they wouldnt work at all. but check valve clearance if they are in right. did you lap them?

hdeuce
12-15-2009, 09:30 PM
i just verified that they are the same (bikebandit.com - one part number for both). Lap? what does that mean?

I meant switching the rocker arms not valves, sorry.

litebulblsc
12-15-2009, 09:34 PM
Check to see if you got spark.

MTS
12-15-2009, 09:49 PM
If its a Cdi- ignition style, you could have the rotor on the end of the cam 180 off....had that before...Just an idea,

MudBug
12-16-2009, 06:55 AM
i just verified that they are the same (bikebandit.com - one part number for both). Lap? what does that mean?

I meant switching the rocker arms not valves, sorry.

cant really help you with rockers, but I think theyre both the same

harryredtrike
12-16-2009, 11:53 AM
did you set the timing marks on reassembley?did you put the tiny pin back in the cam?did you check all your wire connectors?

hdeuce
12-16-2009, 12:04 PM
i did put the pin in the cam shaft, checked all my wires, did not mark the timing but I think it is very close to were it was. I would think it would at least pop if the timing was close? I do have spark as well?

harryredtrike
12-16-2009, 12:33 PM
did you adjust your valves when done?

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2009, 01:12 PM
If there in time and adjusted to spec on a cold motor, it should fire right up.

Allot of guys have difficulty with timing valves and or setting the gap. And when the pulse generator is on the cam, it seems like a 50 50 shot for most guys.

I skimmed your post, did you use a manual for the whole shabang?

I can't imagine it only having one seal??????????

Does the spark plug hole have enough nuts to blow your thumb off when cranking it over?

If the head was removed, was the head gasket cleaned off well and replaced??

Worse cpomes to worse, cmon over, I'll get r going :beer, I meant BRING :beer :lol:

hdeuce
12-16-2009, 02:30 PM
i think i know what happened. when i did the valve seal job i had the trike standing on its wheelie bar. it was easier for me instead of bending down. i think the cam chain jump a few teeth because i cannot get the cam and the "T" on the flywheel to line up. these are suppose to line up? am i correct?

Dirtcrasher
12-16-2009, 02:37 PM
Yes, T needs to line up at TDC on the compression stroke (both lobes away from the rocker arms) and the pulse generator will be firing at that point.

The manual explains it all :D It's your friend, just ask it :lol:

hdeuce
12-16-2009, 04:12 PM
i give up. just redid everything, adjusted valves, set timing, still won't fire?? I verified exhaust and intake stroke are operating correctly as well...

atctim
12-16-2009, 04:27 PM
Are you sure you are timing it correctly?

Do you have a manual?

shortline10
12-16-2009, 04:48 PM
Timing is a pain in the butt sometimes so this is how I do it (very simple) . Remove the flywheel bolt , Point the flywheel key directly at the head and this makes the piston @ TDC , make sure the cam lobes are both pointing toward the block or it will be 180 out . make the cam sprocket dot point the same direction as the flywheel key toward the top head cap . Line the cam sprocket up with the cam and bolt it up and your done . Flywheel key and cam dot both pointing away from the block and its good to go and cant be off . If your still having problems give me a pm and ill send you my # and I'll talk you threw it :beer