PDA

View Full Version : 200x ft tire to 110, how I did it

Autophysn
12-14-2009, 11:47 PM
well, I see there is not much you can do to a trike that either has not been done before, or hasn't been tried, tested, and either established as a success or failure.

Here is how I adapted the 200x front hub and tire combo to my kids
1980 ATC110.

From my basket case 200x, which came with several front end parts, tires and such. I removed the old axle, and found that a peice of 1/2 copper pipe, used for plumbing, fit precisely inside the center tube of the hub. with a little smack here and there, the cooper tube form fit it's self into the I.D. of the original bearings, creating a perfect amount of space that was created from the slop of a peice of 1/2 all thread. once fitted to both bearings, I took the original spacers off the bike, eyeballed them to center up the wheel, and cut them. shimmed to perfection with washers, and locked down. The original spacers fit perfectly into the bearing seal, to keep the sand out, and the copper pipe created the perfect fit. There is no wobble, and it spins freely with no issues. The original front fender fit with no issues and it looks pretty good in my book.

My only concern is that all thread is not the strongest material in the world. I wanted to use 5/8 all thread, but I could not open up the bearings and bushings to fit it with out some serious removal of metal or replacement of parts. I have heard the front axle off a later 110 or similar bike would work, and I will probly order one anyway, but this seems very strong and works great! Besides, my kid only putts around camp, and even when we do ride, we don't go that fast as it is.

Anybody see any problems with this????
I did what I could with what I had laying around the house, so it was all simply labor, very little cost. anyhow, A penny for your thoughts??????

http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/toys/Photo_121409_004.jpg?t=1260848646
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/toys/Photo_121409_010.jpg?t=1260848690
http://i483.photobucket.com/albums/rr191/Autophysn/toys/Photo_121409_001.jpg?t=1260848765

4cfed
12-14-2009, 11:53 PM
well... i think it looks sweet!! but thats all i got on this subject

oscarmayer
12-14-2009, 11:55 PM
nice, inovative, and cheap! i likes!!!!

MonroeMike
12-14-2009, 11:57 PM
I think it looks cool too.

Texas 200x
12-15-2009, 01:21 AM
Looks good on there! Clean 110 I like it. I would be concerned about the all thread also. Does the copper spin at all on the all thread it may get chewed up real quick. You can probally get bearings with the same outside diameter with a larger inside to fit larger all thread or another axle. Great idea!

Autophysn
12-15-2009, 01:54 AM
Thanks Guys! I thought so too! :TrikesOwn

Looks good on there! Clean 110 I like it. I would be concerned about the all thread also. Does the copper spin at all on the all thread it may get chewed up real quick. You can probally get bearings with the same outside diameter with a larger inside to fit larger all thread or another axle. Great idea!

That's the best part, the copper is soft enough to where when I beat it into the bearings, it just molded to the I.D. of the bearing. It is a very snug fit, then with the original spacers, they press against the inside housing to the bearing as it would stock, allowing the bearing to spin freely and work correctly. I was amazed myself, which is why I am sharing this info, I could not of asked for a better fit. Altho I only wish I would have had a grade 8 peice of all thread, but we'll see how it does, I am feeling more and more comfortable with it as time goes by. Altho it would be a really nasty fall if that front wheel came off at high speed! Ouch! But again, my kid just putts around, I am the only one that even gets it past 3rd gear, hahahahahaha

One side note though, if anyone attempts this, the copper pipe I used is the cheaper one at Home Dept. It has the red writing on it. The one with Blue writing has thicker walls to the pipe, and I imagine would not work, or have the malability this one did:beer

Just wish I would have taken step by step pictures, but it was one of those spur of the moment things I came up with at 3am:lol:

riverrat
12-15-2009, 02:18 AM
The copper pipe you used is "M" pipe. The "L" pipe or blue color has a larger outside diameter.
The all thread will eventually fatigue and crack, fairly easily. Remember, the 1/2" all thread has the threads, so the actual diameter is closer to 3/8". Plus it is soft metal, and not to malleable. Which means if you bend it a few times, it breaks. Try to find a hardened piece of metal for the job. Especially if it's your kid riding, you can't put a price on his/her safety. :)
I've worked with this stuff for 27 years, I know what I am talking about.

BTW, it looks nice.

Autophysn
12-15-2009, 03:30 AM
The copper pipe you used is "M" pipe. The "L" pipe or blue color has a larger outside diameter.
The all thread will eventually fatigue and crack, fairly easily. Remember, the 1/2" all thread has the threads, so the actual diameter is closer to 3/8". Plus it is soft metal, and not to malleable. Which means if you bend it a few times, it breaks. Try to find a hardened piece of metal for the job. Especially if it's your kid riding, you can't put a price on his/her safety. :)
I've worked with this stuff for 27 years, I know what I am talking about.

BTW, it looks nice.

EXACTLY the info I was looking for! Thank you my friend!
I will be sure to order the correct part, I think a later model 110 or similar sting puller will work:beer

riverrat
12-15-2009, 08:21 AM
The original axle doesn't fit through the copper pipe? The copper pipe is ok for a sleeve/bushing.

Autophysn
12-15-2009, 08:42 AM
no, that is what I was going for, to use it as my own custom bushing. I found one that should work on Ebay, $15 off a later model 110.

You got me thinking now lol! Just ordered it.

Bottom line, your correct, no price on safety!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hey, atleast the mock up was bitchn' hahahahahahaha

BTW, your sig---Sweet Video!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

hdeuce
12-15-2009, 09:03 AM
We almost have the same bikes...

Dirtcrasher
12-15-2009, 10:21 AM
I like the way it looks!! something slick about it!

inv3ctiv3
12-15-2009, 02:39 PM
Nice didn't realize you were so close! Not many CA trikers around this site.

TrailerRider
12-15-2009, 03:11 PM
Nice. Looks Clean. Why is it the best ideas come when your in the restroom and at 3 am?..lol

And even less in Northern CA! I never seen anyone else out there trik'n along except me and my family.

Autophysn
12-15-2009, 10:25 PM

Yeah dude, I am in Anaheim and frequent Glamis, Gordon's Well, and Dumont for the most part.

Nice. Looks Clean. Why is it the best ideas come when your in the restroom and at 3 am?..lol

Bah hahahahahahahahahaha:beer

Autophysn
12-15-2009, 10:26 PM
We almost have the same bikes...

brilliant minds think a like:beer

yours is actually how I imagined mine when it is finished, great job!