PDA

View Full Version : 350x frame question

Escanabajosh
12-13-2009, 08:13 PM
i bought a 350x a few months back tore it down and been waiting for after the holidays to start sinking some $ into it. anyways i was looking at the crack that is on the left side (the normal spot for the 85's) and there is a chunk of metal missing and at first it looked like someone tried to weld it with a stick welder and burned right thru. well after looking over tank350s build thread i relized there is a tab there that must have gotten ripped of the frame!

my question is what is the tab for? i was going to gusset the frame and do a wrap for the crack but now i'm wondering if i should look for a new frame.

sorry cant get pic's right now but i'll try and get my parents camera.

harryredtrike
12-13-2009, 08:32 PM
dc has a couple threads with gussets.probably still on the front page.

harryredtrike
12-13-2009, 08:35 PM
yea its still there about three quarter's the way down,has alot of nice pics.

Escanabajosh
12-13-2009, 11:37 PM
thanks harry, i have read DC's gusset threads. i'm going to hopfully start that stuff soon. i'm needing help with this bracket? mine is ripped off the frame and i just have a hole! i thought someone tried welding the crack with a stick welder and burned thru! what is this bracket for? http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l414/ESCANABAJOSH/350xnotmine.jpg

Escanabajosh
12-13-2009, 11:41 PM
i just went and looked at my motor, i figured out what that tabs for.......this sucks! anyone got a frame for sale?

Escanabajosh
12-13-2009, 11:44 PM
i might be able to make a tab and weld it onto the wrap after it's welded on? any thoughts or ideas?

litebulblsc
12-13-2009, 11:47 PM
Yep. Weld the hole shut, then weld a new motor mounting tab on. Should work without a hitch

tanks350x
12-14-2009, 12:10 AM
thanks harry, i have read DC's gusset threads. i'm going to hopfully start that stuff soon. i'm needing help with this bracket? mine is ripped off the frame and i just have a hole! i thought someone tried welding the crack with a stick welder and burned thru! what is this bracket for? http://i330.photobucket.com/albums/l414/ESCANABAJOSH/350xnotmine.jpg

Ha, ha, My frame, my 3fiddy :lol: That tab is the rear engine mount

Escanabajosh
12-14-2009, 09:51 AM
thanks litebulblsc, i'll give that a try befor i drop the $ on a frame.

tanks350x, i was reading thru you'r build and relized i don't have that tab! nice job on that x by the way! hope to start mine soon, so far i just tore it down! i'm thinking about going black and white(plastics).

thanks again for the help fella's hopfully i'll have some pic's to put up soon, after new years my time is going to be spent icefishing and working on the X & SX

Dirtcrasher
12-14-2009, 02:04 PM
I'd build my own tab with .125 steel, piece of cake...

Never let an ARC welder near any Honda products. IDT one piece on that machine has anything thicker than 3 or 4mm's or about .125/.1875.

Be forewarned, that tab is CRITICAL and has to be dead nuts! and the welds have to be fantastic...................

jensenracing77
12-14-2009, 04:13 PM
i have a junk frame that i could hack that part out of if you could pay shipping.

Escanabajosh
12-14-2009, 05:03 PM
thanks jensenracing77 sending pm

Dirtcrasher
12-14-2009, 08:30 PM
Awesome - Cut that puppy at the top and at the bottom where it meets the lower frame rail and you chicken:D Weld it in, wrap it and call it a day..............

Escanabajosh
12-14-2009, 10:29 PM
i love this site and how people help others on here, i'll pass on the favor whenever i can but i don't have much for extra parts right now.

should have the gussets and frame transplant done in january,i'll do a thread on the frame transplant.

the best part is i'll be able to say a part of my bike was in dirtwheels magazine! it's off the frame jensenracing77 used for them crazy hill climbs that was in dirtwheels! thanks again jensen, i should have that to you'r paypal by this weekend.