PDA

View Full Version : atc70 muffler removal

aldochina
12-13-2009, 01:15 AM
Is it common to have the pipe froze to the head? got one nut off, other one busted so thats free, removed 3 can bolts, and it will not budge!! by the way it looks in the manual, the flange is welded to the pipe, and the pipe actually recessed in the head correct? my flange appears to be free of the pipe on the one side. Any tricks to getting the pipe out of the head aside from heat and beat. Not sure if i can reuse the pipe. if the flange is loose, it may have rusted right through the pipe. Sucks, i wanted to have this running for christmas, now its not looking good. I knew I was gonna have problems with this, so I was going to leave it for now, but i have been waiting for parts, and I couldnt stay away from it:rolleyes: The rusty arse exaust was bugging me. Oh well, it had to be addressed eventually. its an 85 if that makes a diff.

Frankencelery
12-13-2009, 10:42 AM
I have a '79 that's the same way. After gentle taps and prying it wouldn't come off, so I started banging on the headpipe. I completely destroyed the exhaust pipe trying to get it off, and it still didn't come. Knowing how many other parts that machine needed, the project got tabled. It's in a shed, probably with mice living in the stuck exhaust pipe.

Let me know what you end up doing to fix it.