PDA

View Full Version : Clutch problems

smokinwrench
08-11-2003, 11:31 PM
I was riding my 85 250R today, the clutch is slipping bad. It got very bad very quickly too. I am wondering what is the best brand of clutch to buy. Not nesicarliy the most expensive but the best one for the dollar. I ride all sand conditions if it matters at all. Lots of sand drags and trail riding.

I am also wondering about how long does a clutch usually last on a 250R. It just seems like I have rebuilt the entire trike this summer. I was planning on buying some new plastic and stuff for it, but hell I just keep buying more parts to keep it running.

Josh

TG
08-12-2003, 12:41 AM
The stock plates arent bad, but I like the Barnett racing clutch, but takes a lot more left hand to work it. The springs are much heavier. As far as the old one going quick, maybe a cable too tight?? Should have a tiny bit of play in the lever where it enters the case. If the clutch fiber plates are blackened or shiny, try roughing them just-a-little with 220 grit sandpaper.

Wickedfinger
08-12-2003, 12:52 AM
... if it happened that quickly, you better check to see there isnt any anti-freeze in that tranny oil. I've had that happen to me before on my LT-R when the WP went. It got all over my clutch plates and effectively ruined them.

smokinwrench
08-12-2003, 09:15 PM
I think it has been happening for a couple weeks it was just very slow at first and I don't think I noticed right at first since I usually ride with my kid at slower speeds.

Waterpump is ok, I changed the tranny oil and tried it is still slips. The cable is adjusted properly.

Is it worth the extra $$ to buy a high $ clutch or just go with a stock replacement?

Josh

skippy
08-12-2003, 09:20 PM
go w the stocker... might cost alittle more then the barnett but it will last, and the springs are alittle lighter, unless your motor is really moded, you dont need it..it will only be a hard pull

TimSr
08-13-2003, 01:36 AM
My R was eating clutches pretty fast when the basket was toast. I sunk a few bucks into a Jenson Racing billet basket on Ebay, and its been awesome ever since. No drag, and easy to pop into neutral when standing still and running. As far as clutch disks, OEM are great, from servicehonda. I used Vesra once, when it was eating them, and the tabs on the fiber plates that catch in the basket were notching really bad, so I dont recommend them on anything thats hard on clutches.

smokinwrench
08-16-2003, 05:22 PM
I finally tore it apart this morning. The clutch is junk the disks look ok I haven't measured them yet but they look real good. The plates are what are junk. Everyone of them is wore in about 1/16 of an inch on both sides. The basket looks good too.

I checked at the local shop this morning and it is $190.00 to go back with a complete new clutch. I am going to buy a complete clutch assembly from Dennis Kirk, or Rocky Mtn ATV. Any brand except Vesra.

Josh