PDA

View Full Version : Where Have All The 3-wheelers Gone?

old-yellow
12-11-2009, 07:02 PM
I was reading a March 1989 ATV Sports magazine and found this Article and thought it was kinda of interesting.

A story recently appeared in Automotive News that reported the sales of new 3-wheel ATVs, which has been banned in U.S., are now taking place in the"gray market" in Britain. According to the article, a company based in England's West Midlands has negotiated to import hundreds of Yamaha 3-wheelers, to the embarrassment of the official importer of "legal" Yamaha motorcycles and 4-wheelers. The company that imported the vehicles, Autobase, which disposes of salvage vehicles at auctions, purchased about 2,000 3-wheelers in U.S. and is selling them mainly at British Car Auctions. The going price has been said to be under $1700 U.S. for a brand new 1986 Tri-Z 250, which is about half of what Europeans has been spending on "legally imported models". The official importer, Mitsui, has issued a bulletin to all Yamaha outlets stressing that they are not importing any 3-wheelers, that there will be no warranty on such machines, and that ant supplier or dealer, together with the importer, will be liable for defective products and carry sufficient liability insurance.

Rawlins350x
12-11-2009, 07:55 PM
pretty neat write up. wish i could have been one of the lucky guys who got to pick one up cheap.

BigRed_Ryno
12-11-2009, 08:02 PM
My dad an his brother bought 2 brand new ones for bout £500 each from such auctions. Was no big deal at the time i guess, i remember sitting on them in the workshop all new and shiney. Unfortunately, havent a clue what happened to them :(

Yamada
12-12-2009, 10:28 AM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=104169

luke
12-12-2009, 02:00 PM
I know a few people that saw them go through the auctions back in the late 80's, people who had no intrest at all in them :(

We got lots of Z quads over here, they on feepay every week :rolleyes: They are part of trike history :beer

DixiePlowboy
12-12-2009, 02:20 PM
pretty neat write up. wish i could have been one of the lucky guys who got to pick one up cheap.

In the summer of 1987, S&W Yamaha in Jasper, AL ran an ad in the local paper for new left over Tri-Z's. The '85 model was $1295 and the '86 model was $1495. I called the same morning, confirmed they had an '86 left, then rode an hour and a half to the dealership.

When I got there, there were two other people there picking Z's up(an '85 and my '86). I panicked.

The salesperson then walked back to the shop with me and I watched my '86 Z un-crated, put together, and serviced.

I kept it till '93, and wish I still had it everyday.