PDA

View Full Version : My yamaha ytm 175

bobbo112
12-08-2009, 06:41 PM
hey guys i recently picked up an old 82-83 yamaha ytm 175, of course the first thing i did was to see if it started but wasnt that easy, had to free up the clogged gas line, cleaned the carb, after that was running for 20-30secs with me reving, i shifted it into gear but stalled out due to low compression(did a leak down test to confirm), i have new rings and gaskets that i am going to put in tonight and am keeping my fingers crossed

While waiting i re-painted the frame sun yellow and the foot pegs, trailor hitch, plastic mounts gloss black it looks way better then it did anyway ill keep the post updated if the new rings and gaskets get this thing going, what could some other problems be if the rings and gaskets dont fix the compression issue?

the great gazoo
12-08-2009, 07:37 PM
Sounds like a cool rig. Be sure & post up some pics of your progress. If you've got Q's, do a YT175 search on this forum, there's plenty of information.

MonroeMike
12-09-2009, 04:56 AM
Greetings.

Post the VIN, if you don't know the year (and want to).

old-yellow
12-09-2009, 06:07 PM
Welcome to the forums.

old-yellow
12-10-2009, 09:39 PM
So did you get your YT175 running good?

bobbo112
12-15-2009, 05:16 PM
hey all i havent worked on the bike in a few days after i put in the new parts and it didnt start again, today i decided to go out and try my luck and 3-4 pulls later got her going again i reved it trying to get it warmed up and then took it for a spin, drove it about 75ft or so in the snow tires just spinning and then got low on the throttle and she dies. the main problem im haivng is after it dies and i get it going again it idles fine and i can rev it no problem for like 20-30secs or more and then the idle gets higher and higher then it dies does anyone know what could be the cause of this?

the great gazoo
12-15-2009, 07:10 PM
Sounds like you're running out of fuel or you've got an air leak.

Trimotomike
12-15-2009, 08:59 PM
make sure the reed boot isnt dry rotted and cracked . If its sucking air through cracks it will idle high then sputter out . I had a kx250 dirtbike that did what you are explaining and the boot was the culprit. also that trike should have a fuel pump on it might be getting time to replace it .

bobbo112
12-15-2009, 11:58 PM
ok ill take alook at it tomorrow and see if theres any cracks around the reed boot, as for the fuel pump it seems to be pumping fuel fine i can see the gas go through the line and into the carb. On the top of the engine right in the center under the top end cylinder houseing there is sopposed to be a breather and a hose which wasnt on it when i got it and once started oil comes leaking out of there pretty bad, where does this hose attach to maybe someone can put up a pic or could i just put in the breather with the hose on and clamp it off so the oil dosent come out??

old-yellow
12-17-2009, 06:36 PM
Sounds like your talking about the oil injection line running from the oil pump, that could be why your trike is running bad the motor is not getting oil to it and its overheating.

bobbo112
12-17-2009, 07:44 PM
no its getting oil, i got rid or the oil resvior and pump and just mix it with the gas. the one that im talking about is about 3-4 inches to the left of the injection line, i uploaded a pic of where ad what i am talking about

old-yellow
12-18-2009, 01:12 AM
That looks like its the tube to run the vacuum for the fuel pump if not then its just a breather for the transmission but if it is spitting oil out then ether the right crankshaft seal is bad or there's a leak between the crankcase halves causing pressure from the crankcase to leak into the transmission part of the motor and thats pushing out the transmisson oil.