PDA

View Full Version : New to Maintenance/Service

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 12:14 PM
I'm new to the ATC world and would like to learn how to do basic maintenance/service on my 200x. I have the manual for my 1985 200x and it seems pretty easy! Right now I am wanting to change the oil & put in a new spark plug. I just put in a new Uni Air-filter, so thats already done. Later I want to put in new brake fluid. The only thing I dont get is how to bleed the brakes without letting air in the hose. So What I'm basically asking is how to change the oil, is there any certain ways you guys do it? or is it just like the manual says?

harryredtrike
12-08-2009, 12:28 PM
easy oil change,warm motor and shut off.open the plug on the bottom left of the motor.its a 21mm i think,maybe 22mm.there is a spring and steel filter in there.drain oil and clean filter screen.put back together and refill.2nd most important is chain maintenance.keep a well adjusted and oiled.a chain tensioner and case savers are great.also your two back wheels need to be exactly the same as far as air presure.

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 01:04 PM
easy oil change,warm motor and shut off.open the plug on the bottom left of the motor.its a 21mm i think,maybe 22mm.there is a spring and steel filter in there.drain oil and clean filter screen.put back together and refill.2nd most important is chain maintenance.keep a well adjusted and oiled.a chain tensioner and case savers are great.also your two back wheels need to be exactly the same as far as air presure.

Thanks man! How do I clean the filter screen? Do I use chain wax on my chain? And how do I adjust the chain? I will post a pic of my bikes chain I'm not sure if its adjusted right, there may be some slack. Let me know what you think.

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 01:17 PM
Here's the only pic of the 200x chain I have right now, does it need to be adjusted?

harryredtrike
12-08-2009, 01:39 PM
its hard to see but your chain looks to hang a little too much.you want about 1 1/2 inch. of play.take your chain on top and move it up and down,should be about 1 1/2'' of play.oil your chain with gear oil,motoroil,wd 40 [not recomended by me.]or high speed chain lube from the store.all will work well.and you can clean the screen with gas and a brush[old tooth brush]........if your chain needs adjusting look behind the motor where swing arm connects.should see adjusters on both sides.loosen big bolt and adjust equally on both sides.will pull or push swingarm in or out depending on what you need.

200XMichigan
12-08-2009, 02:17 PM
I would say get the stuff designed for chains with O-rings, I picked up some at AutoZone, wasn't anymore expensive than WD-40, and I would imagine WD-40 will eat at the O-rings. Gear oil works ok, but slings it everywhere.

Carb cleaner also works good on the screens, its pressurized so helps to blow anything off of there.

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 03:11 PM
Thanks for the help!