PDA

View Full Version : tri moto 175 question

bansheejoel
12-08-2009, 01:11 AM
Well im finally getting around to rebuilding my engine in my 175 after putting it on hold for wayyy to long. Ordered up a NOS yamaha piston and gasket kit and all the other stuff. My question is, the engine sounded great when i was running it, but after taking it all apart and spining the crank by hand it seems kinda loud. Its smooth but quietly growls. How long will a crank last that does that? thanks

old-yellow
12-08-2009, 10:23 AM
That's kind of hard to say how long it will last without being there myself to hear what noise your hearing. I was wonder way you went with a Yamaha piston and not a Wiseco piston, I would of used the Wiseco piston becaues it uses a thicker piston ring than the stock Yamaha piston. Alex

old-yellow
12-08-2009, 10:42 AM
I don't know what you paid for your piston but I can order any size Wiseco piston for $98 shipped, the shipping is a standard $6.99 for most orders from this website.
Here's the link.
http://www.mfgsupply.com/m/c/471M06600.html

Trimotomike
12-08-2009, 11:45 AM
my ytm175 did the same thing , had a little grumble to the crank bearings and was smooth like yours . I rebuilt the topeend and the bottom end lasted about 3 months .I would think that Alll that fresh stuff up top probably puts more stress on the old bottom end .

bansheejoel
12-09-2009, 01:38 AM
alex, i picked up the piston with rings for $50 shipped on e-bay. I love wiseco's as well but it wasnt worth $50 more bucks for a rig im only gonna use for ice fishing. If i was gonna mod it i would have gone with somthing else. How much do you guys think a shop would charge me to swap cranks out? To put in the good crank, and leave the "bad" crank out and the cases apart on the other bottom end? Thanks