PDA

View Full Version : 200x exhaust....

AZ.45
11-23-2009, 06:30 PM
There us some rust on my 200x exhaust. What is the proper way to restore/paint the exhaust and pipe? I just don't want to spray bomb them with black spray paint. i want to do it the right way. Do I need to sand blast it? What's the easiest and best way to do it right? PLEASE POST PICS OF EXHAUST/MUFFLERS THAT YOU HAVE PAINTED!!!!

Yamaha_Rules69
11-23-2009, 07:28 PM
Sand blasting would be the best way to get all the old dirt, rust and finish off. And believe it or not, you can purchase 1200-1500 degree resistant high temp spray paint, and looks great when finished. I have used it many times, and never had a problem. I painted a pipe about 4 years ago on the 200x, and it still looks great! I would highly recommend it. Its all about the preperation time to make the painting process the way you want it.

4cfed
11-23-2009, 09:18 PM
sand blast the exhaust if you can if not use acorse grit to get the heavy stuff off than like 320 to finish it off, clean the pipe good with soapy water or prep solvent if you have it ( or wipe it down with rubbing alcohol and wipe it off and let it dry)...

for the head pipe get a high temp exhaust paint. most common is vht flame proof.. most parts stores carry it in silver, white or black ( cant order in dif colors online) you can use that for the whole system but mainly the header needs it..

for the muffler you can use engine enamal if you want ( some good to 650 degrees but most are 500) but the muffler wont get hot enough to worry about it.

i did my dg system with satin black engine enamal and polished the dg badge about 3 weeks ago and it still looks like i just sprayed it.

you can use engine enamal clear on the muffler also to keep it looking good...

or powdercoat

AZ.45
11-24-2009, 10:42 AM
Thanks! I don't have a sand blaster so I would probably need to sand down then. Where can I buy that hi-temp spray paint? Does Wal-mart carry it?

bigred44
11-24-2009, 10:51 AM
Most all auto parts stores carry it. Be sure to do a good job preping the metal first and it should hold up pretty good.

4cfed
11-24-2009, 01:38 PM
Thanks! I don't have a sand blaster so I would probably need to sand down then. Where can I buy that hi-temp spray paint? Does Wal-mart carry it?

i think wallmart sells it but im not sure.. i allways get it at advance auto parts. auto zone oreilet napa automotive supply checker.. all should carry it..

if you heading to wallmart pick up a paint/ rust remover wheel for a drill and a wire wheel for a drill that will save you some sanding time

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 01:41 PM
i think wallmart sells it but im not sure.. i allways get it at advance auto parts. auto zone oreilet napa automotive supply checker.. all should carry it..

if you heading to wallmart pick up a paint/ rust remover wheel for a drill and a wire wheel for a drill that will save you some sanding time

Thanks for all the help! Its the muffler that I'm really looking to paint black. The pipe was rusted and I've been removing the rust real good with some wd-40, fine sand paper and some steel wool. The pipe Looks new, and I've only removed the rust. So I decided no to paint the pipe. only the muffler. So Do I use the same High temp. paint to paint it black? The muffler also has rust, Do I go thru the same process in removing rust, and preping?

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 01:51 PM
Can anyone post pics of their exhaust/mufflers that they have painted? I'm looking to paint my muffler black with some of that High Temp. Paint and wanted to see how others have turned out. Thanks!

posty2100
12-07-2009, 02:15 PM
I painted the muffler on my tecate with high temp, looks decent

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/posty2100/008.jpg

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 02:52 PM
I painted the muffler on my tecate with high temp, looks decent

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/posty2100/008.jpg
Man that looks real clean!!! Good job! What kind of paint did you use?

posty2100
12-07-2009, 02:59 PM
not sure exactly what kind ill have to check when im home

I wanted to put a chrome exhaust on it till I seen what it would cost, so I think im happy with my couple dollar spray paint job...lol

here is a before pic the day I got it before cleaning it all up

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/posty2100/tecate0022.jpg

harryredtrike
12-07-2009, 03:16 PM
the prep is everything,prep it right and it will last.as for paint use a high quality high temp paint.or have it chromed,very nice.

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
not sure exactly what kind ill have to check when im home

I wanted to put a chrome exhaust on it till I seen what it would cost, so I think im happy with my couple dollar spray paint job...lol

here is a before pic the day I got it before cleaning it all up

http://i777.photobucket.com/albums/yy57/posty2100/tecate0022.jpg

How did you clean/prep your exhaust to get it ready for paint?

posty2100
12-07-2009, 04:42 PM
How did you clean/prep your exhaust to get it ready for paint?

The rust was mostly surface rust and I just hand sanded the head pipe and exhaust by hand. I just washed it with soap and water, let it dry and sanded it for probably 45 minutes to a hour and to make sure I got all the grease and dirt off. It came out good because the rust was only minor so I sanded it till I thought it was smooth enough then painted it with high temp. It can be done alot better with a sand blaster but I don't have one.

Using a good degreaser wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it up either.

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 05:29 PM
The rust was mostly surface rust and I just hand sanded the head pipe and exhaust by hand. I just washed it with soap and water, let it dry and sanded it for probably 45 minutes to a hour and to make sure I got all the grease and dirt off. It came out good because the rust was only minor so I sanded it till I thought it was smooth enough then painted it with high temp. It can be done alot better with a sand blaster but I don't have one.

Using a good degreaser wouldn't be a bad idea to clean it up either.

Ok sounds good! Thanks for the help/info!

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2009, 05:52 PM
Exhausts are one area that spray bombs seem to work pretty well :D Must be the heat that bakes it on so to speak....

Sand it down,. don't go nuts and paint it. Enjoy.......

One thing I find with exhausts, if you get mud all over them and don't wash it off, it eats at the paint so be sure to keep it cleaned off.

Like the guys said, most BarBQ and Hi Heat paints lay down just fine for exhausts and there easy to do over.....

I also soak my can of paint in hot water for a bit before I spray it, it seems to help it flow and adhere, or maybe I'm crazy..... I am crazy but thats another post altogether :D

Dammit!
12-07-2009, 06:00 PM
Something I've noticed about hi-temp paints is I have way better results if I heat cycle the part after it's done. After it's painted and installed, start the bike and just let it idle for a few seconds and shut it down. Let it cool, start it up and let it get a little hotter this time then shut it off and let it cool. Last time I did one I forgot to do this and just started it up and ripped down the street and it basically burned off near the motor.

WIkid500
12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
http://img13.imageshack.us/img13/2625/0503091100.jpg (http://img13.imageshack.us/i/0503091100.jpg/)

Best thing I have done on an exhaust was to ceramic coat it. I have the polished aluminum look on the exhaust I built for my 200x. Columbia coatings 24 dollars for enough ceramic coating to do more than 2 full exhausts worth.
It takes a little work for prepping but once it's done you will never have to do it again. Ceramic coating doesn't chip off with rocks, mud CAN'T bake on to it, and never discolors like chrome.

I will be ceramic coating my swing arm this winter along with the front skid plate. I've had enough with paint getting crappy from chipping after a few rides.

AZ.45
12-07-2009, 06:29 PM
So do you reccomend that I use wd-40 & sand paper on the muffler to remove the rust, and then clean it with soap and water? Or do I just use the sand paper itself to remove the rust and then clean it with soap and water?

200XMichigan
12-07-2009, 06:53 PM
WIKid, what type of ceramic coating is it? How is it applied, is it baked on? Tried to google, lots of different types out there.

"So do you reccomend that I use wd-40 & sand paper on the muffler to remove the rust, and then clean it with soap and water? Or do I just use the sand paper itself to remove the rust and then clean it with soap and water?"

I would really recommend one of the wire brushes people have mentioned, a lot faster than sand paper. After you use the brush in one direction for a while all the bristles will be bent directionally, then reverse the drill. Might be some places sandpaper helps but the drill/wire brush is great.

WIkid500
12-07-2009, 07:49 PM
http://www.columbiacoatings.com/Clear_Ceramic_p/ccc.htm

This is what I used. To prep you must sand blast, and remove any grease or oil. That step is KEY to success. Once you have the part clean you can apply the ceramic coating, it's water based so clean up is real easy. After the coating dries you need to bake it. I baked my exhaust in the propane grill :) It was an experiment to see if it worked, and it did! After the part is baked you steel wool the part and reveal the aluminum ceramic coating. Final step is to polish with a buffing wheel.

So there is a little work involved but it's one time, and only a few more steps than paint.

4cfed
12-07-2009, 09:30 PM
dont use wd40 to clean the muffler if you plan on painting it, no point, just use a wire wheel, and sand paper, i used duplicolor black engine enamal with duplicolor engin enamal clear on my dg on my 200x, after itr flashed over i started it and let it run for 5 min at idle, than let it sit,

i did mine like that, and mud, dirt dont hurt the engine enamal my pipe still looks like it did the day i painted it,

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 10:39 AM
dont use wd40 to clean the muffler if you plan on painting it, no point, just use a wire wheel, and sand paper, i used duplicolor black engine enamal with duplicolor engin enamal clear on my dg on my 200x, after itr flashed over i started it and let it run for 5 min at idle, than let it sit,

i did mine like that, and mud, dirt dont hurt the engine enamal my pipe still looks like it did the day i painted it,

Got it! No wd-40! 4cfed can you post some pics of your muffler/exhaust?

4cfed
12-08-2009, 10:48 AM
it will be dark by the time i get home from work, but im off tomrow for the snow storm, s ill get it outside in the light and take some pics tommrow

AZ.45
12-08-2009, 10:57 AM
it will be dark by the time i get home from work, but im off tomrow for the snow storm, s ill get it outside in the light and take some pics tommrow

Ok sounds good, thanks!