PDA

View Full Version : TRX 70 Clutch - Question

_brad_
12-07-2009, 03:58 AM
Hey all,

Don't get mad that I'm asking another clutch question, I have spent the last hour reading the forums but am still at a loss.

So, I got a 1986 TRX 70 for cheap. Problem is, when I'm taking it for a spin around the yard, 1st gear seems fine, but everything up from there (2nd, 3rd, 4th) seem to slip. Especially past half throttle and under a load (hills, ect).

I know the clutch adjuster screw on the right side of the motor is for adjusting the main clutch pack and not the centrifugal clutch... Fine.

When I attempt to adjust the clutch per the manual, it says to "turn the adjusting screw one full turn clockwise, slowly turn the adjusting screw counter clockwise until resistance is felt, back the adjusting screw off 1/8 turn clockwise."

Sounds easy enough.. Problem is, I don't get any resistance unless I totally turn the screw clockwise or counter clockwise until it bottoms out each way... Is this normal?

Whats going on? Should I bottom it out counter clockwise and then put it clockwise 1/8? Or should I bottom it out clockwise, and then turn counter clockwise 1/8?

Any help would be great. FYI this is the same motor used in just about all ATC 70's.

Thanks,
Brad

MonroeMike
12-07-2009, 04:19 AM
Counter clockwise and then put it clockwise 1/8, just as the manual states.

_brad_
12-07-2009, 04:25 AM
Thank you MonroeMike.

harryredtrike
12-07-2009, 11:29 AM
Thank you MonroeMike.

i hope that helps you,or it may be time for a clutch replacement.

_brad_
12-17-2009, 07:22 AM
Alright, well, thank you for all your help fellas. But it looks like a clutch replacement is in the near future. My question is, what parts am I going to need? This will be my first clutch replacement! I'm actually excited!

Below is a link showing the clutch assembly:

http://ep.yimg.com/ca/I/dratv_2084_47401351

Do I just need #6, 8, 9?

The story is, bike pulls fine in 1st and 2nd, but midway through 2nd and all of 3rd whenever I give it gas the motor just revs with little acceleration. Also does the same in 1st and 2nd when climbing hills.

I assume this is the main clutch discs? Or is this the centrifugal clutch assembly?

Any help would be great!

oneroom42
12-20-2009, 07:40 PM
this kid knows his stuff and he is really helpfull! http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=D9DyeetblGU&feature=PlayList&p=DEEBD4214063B60C&index=19