PDA

View Full Version : new to 3weelers need help getting mine running

aebaca
12-07-2009, 12:56 AM
a friend just gave me a 1983 atc 185s he got it as a project but never put time or $ into it and now i have it... its been sitting a long time but i took a look at the carb and a quick view of most the weeler and it looks in good shape but it dont run not even a sputter. what are some of the first things to look at when this is going on apart from carb? im petty sure that works. and where can i get a free pdf manual for it ? any help would be awesome i cant wait to get it running

Zach
12-07-2009, 02:18 AM
any gas engine (if it has compression) needs 3 things to run fuel, air, and spark. I would start by seeing if it has spark. If you dont know how to do this take the spark plg out of the engine leave it hooked to the plug wire and put the end of the plug on the umotor pull the start handle and see if a spark jumps the gap. If you have spark get some starting fluid and spray it in the carb intake and pull that start handle if you get some sputter then you have a fuel problem.

Before you try either of these make sure you have compression if you dont have a tester put your finger over the empty spark plug hole and pull the start handle you can get a decent idea by the way it feels hope this helps

Congrats on the new toy!

harryredtrike
12-07-2009, 02:20 AM
yea what he said.there is a manual on this site,just do a search.and welcome to 3ww.

Pafrig
12-07-2009, 02:30 AM
the spark also has to be at the right time. so take the sparkplug out, hook it back up to the wire, and rest the sparkplug somewhere against the engine. then put your thumb over the spark plug hole and pull the engine over. you should get atleast some spark right when your thumb gets blown off the hole. oh yeah, also make sure the kill switch is set to "run" when testing for spark. and btw, it dosent hurt to just crack open the carb and clean it up a little.

MonroeMike
12-07-2009, 02:46 AM
Welcome to the board.

Your life has just changed.

aebaca
12-07-2009, 03:36 AM
thanks for all the suggestions im going to bed now ill try the spark before or after work tomorrow... probably a dumb question but does the 3 weeler need a battery or does it run with out one? ive never had an automobile with out one that's why i ask

MonroeMike
12-07-2009, 03:56 AM
You do not need a battery.

200XMichigan
12-07-2009, 03:45 PM
Man you're lucky in New Mexico, there's so little water, things can sit forever and then don't corrode to hell, I used to live in ABQ. In Michigan I have pulled carbs off that were just destroyed from water corroding everything. If its sat for sometime you'll have to do the carb. If you've got compression and spark, you'll probably just want to do the carb before even messing with starting fluid.

Change the oil before you start it, let it warm up and change it again.

aebaca
12-07-2009, 11:21 PM
the previous owner changed the oil i am 80% sure i took the spark plug out and tested the spark and it sparks there is compression(checked with my thumb because i dont have a compression tester) next step is tear apart and clean the carb right? and if im getting spark that means the cdi is good right?

drkilldrmz
12-08-2009, 10:21 AM
pour a small amount of fuel in the Spark plug hole, About a soda cap full, then put the plug back in and pull it over. Sounds like it should start. Then you can worrk about the carb.

aebaca
12-10-2009, 11:33 PM
i took apart and cleaned the card today and still no sputter i took the pull starter off and part of it will need to be replaced lator my question now is. is there a way to start the engine ezer than the pull start like hook up a drill to the crank or something? ive started other engines that way

Autophysn
12-11-2009, 12:31 AM
Hey aebaca, Just wanted to say welcome and that you are in good hands, don't be shy, ask plenty of questions, I will not comment, because I do not have a trike like yours, but welcome either way ;)

200XMichigan
12-11-2009, 02:25 AM
Did you check to see that you have spark? Did you spray out all the passages in the carb and make sure everything was clean? I will hold the jets up to the aerosol carb clean and spray through them to clean them out good. The one that has a few holes on the side I'll put my finger over the end to force the carb cleaner out the side holes.

Zach
12-11-2009, 04:32 AM
spraying starting fluid in the intake will eliminate a carb problem if he is just trying to get it to sputter, although a good carb cleaning never hurts. Keep us updated on how things are goin.

200XMichigan
12-11-2009, 04:50 AM
I know, I always figure if you got spark and compression, you know it will sputter with starting fluid, gas etc, might as well just get fuel going to the engine.

Rawlins350x
12-11-2009, 06:46 AM
something else to check and see if someone put an inline fuel filter on one of the hoses. sometimes they clog and could be the culpret

mike1979
12-11-2009, 07:32 AM
i took apart and cleaned the card today and still no sputter i took the pull starter off and part of it will need to be replaced lator my question now is. is there a way to start the engine ezer than the pull start like hook up a drill to the crank or something? ive started other engines that way

Not sure what problem you have with the pull start but you might try soaking it in WD40 overnight, that solved my problems. I wouldnt use a drill, sounds like an easy way to break a wrist. LOL Have you tried using a NEW plug?
I would take the carb right off -- change the plug - - spray starting fluid in the intake-- pull the cord and see if you get any sputter