PDA

View Full Version : TUSK heel guards mounted on a 350X and gussets too!!

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2009, 11:19 PM
I finally finished this, the pics aren't the best and I have to order some SS hardware for the whole SHABANG!

I believe HRE made the "death" footpegs and IDK what model the TUSK guards are for but I chopped off all there mounts and made some in my lathe so they would be uiniform and appear like they were meant to be there. I don't have a TIG and the owner knows he'll have to get that portion fitted but I have the rest down and done. 5 minutes with a good Tigf welding guy for 6061 aluminum and he's golden :D

Came out very well with the HRE pegs, I like them myself and they look like Honda put them both on there.

I had to 30/45 degree the flat mounts that I custom made so they would have some strength.....

I could have adapted the stock flat chinsey brackets (they were completely different) that came with them (not sure what he ordered, maybe YZF?? or 450R??) but I cut all that crap off and made my own. That way if he ruins/bends/breaks them or takes them off there is a simple mount on the left and right frame rail that will look OEM once blasted and powder coated.

Pics kinda stink, friggen cats love to see whats up so it is what it is. But, I'm very happy with the end results and I'm SURE they will be super strong!! Just don't slip off that footpeg or get ready for some serious stitches!!

The owner can reply if he wishes but it's not my place to name him!

PICS, ENJOY!!:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0092.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0098.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0084.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0085.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0086.jpg

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0090.jpg

I also gusseted (more than ever before) and wrapped the whole frame so it ought to be very nasty!! All these projects give me ideas for my next 350X build with one of my crate motors :naughty:

code200k
12-06-2009, 11:33 PM
looks real nice.you do some great work!

inv3ctiv3
12-06-2009, 11:56 PM
Holy crap those are sweet! I need something like that on my 350x

WIkid500
12-07-2009, 12:06 AM
Nice work. I definitely need to make a good set of foot pegs for my x. What kind are you running?

KASEY
12-07-2009, 12:07 AM
i am not to fond of nerfs on trikes!! but that ROCKS!!! I REALLY LIKE THAT,,, man i can't wait ti see it complete!

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2009, 12:23 AM
Thanks guys!!

If you had seen the 1" rectangles that were offset and bent and contorted to a muffler or a shock bracket, you would have ditched them too!! :D

I turned a piece of 6061and down and at least 4" of solid material goes into the TUSK piece and then 3 SS bolts into each HRE footpeg :lol:

Should be pretty nasty!!~

Gotta order up some bolts.....

The Goat
12-07-2009, 12:29 AM
me likey, me likey very much.

*sends pm frantically*

did you throw a brace way back behind or under the seat mount? strengthen that, and you really remove the flex from that subframe.

then again...you only bend it that far back if you're huge or if you wheelie like a tard.... or both.

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2009, 12:30 AM
Wait till this gets powdered :naughty:

http://i257.photobucket.com/albums/hh220/Dirtcrasher/101_0098.jpg

inv3ctiv3
12-07-2009, 12:33 AM
I wish someone made a kit for this, I don't have a welder :(

NINJA
12-07-2009, 12:40 AM
That looks great Steve. Keep up the good work, Buddy!

MonroeMike
12-07-2009, 01:46 AM
Nice work, DC.

harryredtrike
12-07-2009, 02:09 AM
those look sic dc,great job.that powder will really set them off

ATCeeya
12-07-2009, 04:50 AM
thats a sweet setup

NESC104
12-07-2009, 06:41 AM
Holy Crap, Steve!!!! Those mounts look factory, absolutely perfect. Any further ideas on the master cyclinder mount? I haven't had time to go to any dealerships and compare units. Maybe I can make it to Razee's today and see what they have for quads.

Those heel guards were ordered for a 450R. HRE Atv did make the pegs for me... They are so beefy. I'm still not sure on the powder color for the frame. Im thinking something like this orange.......I'm not sure where I found the pic...... What do you think???

Thanks Steve, I'll be in touch.
Josh

Bryan Raffa
12-07-2009, 07:27 AM
look Great.. oh wait OUCH!!! My calf muscle has been scraped clean off the Bone!:lol:

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2009, 10:58 AM
Holy Crap, Steve!!!! Those mounts look factory, absolutely perfect. Any further ideas on the master cyclinder mount? I haven't had time to go to any dealerships and compare units. Maybe I can make it to Razee's today and see what they have for quads.

Those heel guards were ordered for a 450R. HRE Atv did make the pegs for me... They are so beefy. I'm still not sure on the powder color for the frame. Im thinking something like this orange.......I'm not sure where I found the pic...... What do you think???

Thanks Steve, I'll be in touch.
Josh

Hi Josh, I'm glad you like them!! Now you know why I chopped that stock crap off......:naughty:

Recently, there was a post that the masters could be rebuilt and I didn't look into it any further. I wanted to get at least the 2nd stage of this done for you. We can talk about it though.....

I do have a 450R master, not sure if I have a spare pedal though..... I am gonna build myself another X so maybe I should start looking for .99c pedals, pegs, cheap electrics etc etc. I have everything else besides plastics and odds and ends.

GOAT - I did reinforce under the seat too, I'll post pics later on sometime.

posty2100
12-07-2009, 02:26 PM
meow that looks good

The Goat
12-07-2009, 02:31 PM
thanks stevo

Comparing the machine welds to yours...I think you've got them beat. Good god man those are some pretty beads.

Brockey
12-07-2009, 03:55 PM
Man those sure look good. DC you should fab up a few similar sets that will bolt up to say 85/86 250r let me buy the first one and sell a few.

Dirtcrasher
12-07-2009, 05:45 PM
Here's the thing, I'm willing to fabricate and weld anything you guys want. It's just a bad time for people to spend the $$.

Adapting these to a 250R would be chicken!

The only frames I have to work with are the 250SX and 86/87 200X and of course the 350X. I'm sure the 250R would be easy. I couldn't do it without the lathe.mill and mig welder and if things were better, you better believe I'd have a TIG here ready to fix the 250R cases any any other aluminum welding.

I truly hope to get there someday................

And honestly, I HATE some of my welds. If I get the machine set right, with good lighting, I can lay down an awesome bead to be proud of. If you have to grind your weld down, you need more practice!!

I'm here for any of your needs guys, I need the cash and stand by my work 100% :beer

honda250sx
12-07-2009, 09:07 PM
Nice work Steve. But then again. I'm surely not suprised. You do, do it all...

tanks350x
12-07-2009, 09:25 PM
That came out really nice Steve. Looks tough as nails like every other project that you do

bkelley
12-11-2009, 03:48 AM
Here's the thing, I'm willing to fabricate and weld anything you guys want. It's just a bad time for people to spend the $$.

Adapting these to a 250R would be chicken!

The only frames I have to work with are the 250SX and 86/87 200X and of course the 350X. I'm sure the 250R would be easy. I couldn't do it without the lathe.mill and mig welder and if things were better, you better believe I'd have a TIG here ready to fix the 250R cases any any other aluminum welding.

I truly hope to get there someday................

And honestly, I HATE some of my welds. If I get the machine set right, with good lighting, I can lay down an awesome bead to be proud of. If you have to grind your weld down, you need more practice!!

I'm here for any of your needs guys, I need the cash and stand by my work 100% :beer
How much would you charge to fabricate a set of heel guards for my dad's 350X? He's been dying to get some and those one you made look too good. I looked and the pictures first and thought either Tusk was making some for Xs or that something bolted right on perfectly... Excellent work.

vegas250rr
12-11-2009, 02:05 PM
that looks dang good, some acorn nuts on the peg bolts would look sharp too
http://www.hillcofasteners.com/images/products/acorn_nut_high_crown.jpg

Dirtcrasher
12-11-2009, 07:46 PM
Nice nut!! The bolts on there are just temporary. I have to order SS M8 x 70mm bolts for them.

It takes about 2 or 3 hours to complete them, faster next time. I can do them for anyone, but stock pegs or a different frame may eat up a bit more time.

I think everyone is afraid of the shipping cost.....

Thanks guys :D

bkelley
12-12-2009, 04:27 AM
So, a rough estimate would be...

I might seriously consider here in a few weeks if it's nothing outrageous. The guards are like $80 on RMATV.

Dirtcrasher
12-12-2009, 12:46 PM
I think he paid less than that for them.....

75-100$ give or take. I'd have to look at stock pegs ahead of time to see what I'd do with them. There's PLENTY of mounting meat on the HRE pegs.

bkelley
12-12-2009, 03:13 PM
Well, I don't care for stock pegs that much, anyways. When the money's right I'll talk seriously with you.

NESC104
12-12-2009, 03:46 PM
Just for reference:

I bought the heel guards on Ebay (from MACH III Motorsports) $66.95 + shipping and the HRE Footpegs were in the $175.00 dollar ball park with powder. I have yet to ride on these pegs, they are a solid mount and do not fold up like stock style. They are twice as wide as stock and have the kick up end. I will probably purchase another set of these pegs for my other 350X.

Thanks again Steve - the frame does look sharp.....
When I come up there we are going to have to crush some beer by the way. I got over the vertigo!!!

Josh :beer

Dirtcrasher
12-12-2009, 04:06 PM
^ Glad to hear Josh :D

We'll have to talk about the master cylinder stuff too, if they can be rebuilt, I'm pretty happy with how they work in terms of stock fitment and performance....

I'm gonna order your 70MM SS bolts in the next day or so, I have a 200X brake pivot repair in mind so I'd like to order some stock for that if I get the interest in time. I have the other shorter bolts for you, do you need me to get the 8MM nuts and washers? Let me know and I'll get a couple boxes of 100 just to have them. I can't get those acorn nuts with this order but they are very sharp!

Honestly, the best thing to do if other guys want this done, would be to ask HRE to modify and thread his footpeg spacer tubes to accept a 8MM x 1.25 bolt. Then you'd have a super slick look to them with just a bolt in the back!

Don't be afraid to talk to HRE, I'm sure he can do anything you guys want done and depending on the design, he may or may not be able to get his costs down a bit lower.

I can see the workmanship of these pegs and they are wort every dime! Some of you may want a folding and or less aggressive peg which you could discuss with him.

I'd bu the guards and mod them and offer the plates as a package but most people shouldn't be welding things themselves (no off3nse intended) :D

Someday I plan on having a TIG and making even better welding beads :D, not to mention that I'm looking froward to repairing all the 250R left cases now that they're discontinued. But, a 3000$ welder is a serious commitment for me right now without the orders rolling in.............

Brockey
12-12-2009, 08:35 PM
DC I would be in the market for a set to fit my 86 R when you can look at it. I am confident you can do it. Plus if you wanted you can construct your own similar to the Tusk ones, let me know.

jeffatc250r
12-13-2009, 12:13 AM
Although I must say I'm not a fan of heel guards, you did do a very nice job fitting them on!

bkelley
12-13-2009, 04:45 AM
$150? That's pretty steep for some pegs. Wonder if some Pro Armors for a 400EX would fit...

Dirtcrasher
12-13-2009, 01:05 PM
It's not cheap, but if you saw the work involved you'd understand. These are serious pegs for some serious airtime!

A broken peg is a broken leg.................

Tri king
01-10-2010, 05:26 AM
very nice work, but is there still room for some paddles with those heal guards?

NESC104
01-10-2010, 09:00 PM
Right now there is about an inch or so between the guard and the tire. That is with Holeshot HDs. I am probably going to have DC extend the swingarm (1 in. or 2) for this frame. He has to do work on the swinger skid plate mounts anyway. I am planning on a big bore motor for this, but I would only use the paddles for the snow. We put paddles on a 450R and they actually work well in the snow. I dont think I will ever make it to any west coast dunes.

ametzker
03-01-2011, 06:06 PM
Thanks for the pics Dirtcrasher. I was just looking at the Tusk stuff last night and decided to go the same route. Its always nice to some good pics of the mods, it gives a you a better idea of how to go about it. Save time too.

Escanabajosh
06-08-2011, 02:07 PM
any new pictures of this frame? update?

I would like to see the guards on the bike all together, how far along is the build?

bad to the bone
05-24-2016, 04:09 PM
Anyone have pics of these installed?

Dirtcrasher
10-04-2016, 09:13 PM
Believe it or not, I never got these done on my 350X!!.

I have to work on a 350X frame for Brian Ward, and I'm looking forward to doing it...