PDA

View Full Version : Gas petcock question

old-yellow
12-06-2009, 09:30 PM
The petcock on my gas tank has been froze ever since I owned my Tri-moto so I can't change it from on to reserve, I had a spare one that I tried soaking it in WD40, PB Blaster and mixed gas and I still can't get the plastic barrel to turn inside of the aluminum petcock housing without breaking the cast aluminum lever, if anyone has an idea on how to get it to break free please help also does having the gas on all the time wear the needle and seat out in the carburetor faster?

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 09:44 PM
buy a new one, cost per time is not worth it.time is money ya know.

shortline10
12-06-2009, 09:51 PM
The yamahas use a tapered plastic type valve that gets stuck over time . If it comes apart just clean it good and try that .

old-yellow
12-07-2009, 12:18 AM
I tried pulling it apart and I still can't get the plastic barrel valve to slide out of the aluminum petcock housing.
Thanks, Alex

old-yellow
12-08-2009, 11:00 AM
I can't find this part new so does anyone know of a chemical that will eat the white corrosion from the aluminum petcock housing without damaging the plastic barrel valve inside.

Thorpe
12-08-2009, 11:23 AM
If the aluminum is that coroded, and you manage to get it apart, the thing will probably be so pitted it will probably always leak...

200XMichigan
12-08-2009, 12:35 PM
Have you tried the one on yours, maybe its less corroded? You could try a very mild acid like white vinegar to dissolve the corrosion, or coke.

You could try blowing it out with an air compressor, or some carb cleaner, into the end that goes into the tank.

How long did you soak it in PB Blaster?

old-yellow
12-09-2009, 06:13 PM
Both petcocks are corroded same way. Thanks guys for all the help