PDA

View Full Version : 350x exhaust help needed

camoweasel
12-06-2009, 09:27 PM
Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the fitment of two different exhaust systems. I have an 85 350x which I am trying to quiet down. Right now it has the oversized Cobra header and Cobra steel muffler. Since the bolts holding my header in place are literally rusted to the studs, I do not want to risk any damage trying to remove them. SO with that, I want to mate a stock 350x muffler with the Cobra pipe. I'm guessing the diameters of both connections are going to have the same circumferences and different locations so, I need help. Has anybody done this or have an idea of what may be involved? I'm thinking that I may have to make a coupler for the header and a drop bracket for the muffler?? Since the original system and Cobra system have similar geometry, hopefully it should not be hard to mate these two together. Any advise would be appreciated!! Thank you

trizmoneypit
12-06-2009, 09:31 PM
Nope. the stock muffler should work with the cobra header just fine. no mods needed. ;)

camoweasel
12-06-2009, 09:42 PM
Really!! I know that the header is oversized so wouldn't I have a hard time slipping the muffler over the header??

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 09:53 PM
yea i dont think the pipes will match.aftermarket header should be bigger in diameter than stock.

camoweasel
12-06-2009, 09:56 PM
I know that on my old 200X, the aftermarket header and the stock muffler had the same circumferences, so my guess I would somehow need a coupler to mate them together?

trizmoneypit
12-08-2009, 07:59 PM
I'm just curious if you've tried it yet? :D

camoweasel
12-09-2009, 04:14 PM
I'm just curious if you've tried it yet? :D

The muffler should be here on Friday. Keep your fingers crossed.

Somekindofjerk
12-09-2009, 04:48 PM
Muffler will slide right on but youll have to get a gasket off bikebandit or make your own. Otherwise you will have a leak where they connect.

camoweasel
12-12-2009, 11:24 PM
Muffler will slide right on but youll have to get a gasket off bikebandit or make your own. Otherwise you will have a leak where they connect.

Well the muffler came last night. It isn't a direct bolt on. Thge angles ARE a bit different and yes I guess you would need a gasket.

Instead I opted to just try and clamp it right onto the header pipe. I had make the hole a bit bigger on the mounting bracket so that I could slide the whole muffler more forward. I had to use vice grips and bend the flange down so that it would fit the header. I've got it on okay, but it does still leak just because the angle isn't perfect. So now I need to figure out how to seal it so it won't leak. I was thinking about trying out the orange RTV gasket maker. What would be a good way to seal these two pipes??

Dirtcrasher
12-13-2009, 01:03 PM
It never works fantastic....

Lining them up with a snug fit or using the stock exhaust with the gasket is the best way to roll.

trizmoneypit
12-13-2009, 04:25 PM
mine bolt in up no problems. only thing the front mount for the tailpipe was stripped out so I didnt even bother putting a bolt in there. everything lined up just fine. but there was really no concern for me with diameter diffrences.

Some hi temp red RVT silicone will seal it up nicely...