PDA

View Full Version : Splitting Cases-ATC90- I'm Scared!

Gearheadtom
12-06-2009, 02:23 PM
My 90 has a horrible oil leak on the center case gasket. I've got it apart right now on the clutch (right) side, I've got the clutch and everything out, and all I have left to do is remove the screws and split the center of the case, but before I do I want to make sure that I don't screw something up.
I've heard that with the 200's that if you split the case from the wrong side all the gears will fall out. Is this the same with the 90's? All the screw heads are on the side I'm working on, so I assume this is the right side, but I want to make sure.
Anything else I need to watch out for?

jensenracing77
12-06-2009, 03:53 PM
first off, Red Green is awesome! love the pic. as for the case halves, after you take all the screws out. you will want to lift off the right case (the side that the clutch is on) and let the crank, gear sets, and shift drum stay in the left side. it may want to lift the shafts out of the left side so watch close to all the shafts to make sure they are staying down. after the two sides are apart you will see that it is not that bad. just make sure that after you get the right side off that you look inside of it to make sure that a thrust washer did not stick to that side. these washers like to stay on the case half and need to be put back where they came from. there should only be one that could stick to it but i am not sure of that. i think there is one on the counter shaft only.

85Tecate
12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Take pictures, they help alot. Try to keep as many parts grouped together as possible if you take them completely out of the cases.

Gearheadtom
12-06-2009, 05:23 PM
The Red Green show is Canadian, so I grew up watching it.

Thanks for the help from both of you!

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2009, 06:16 PM
A few taps with a rubber mallet and your chicken!!

$ strokes pop right apart, 2 strokes sometimes need to be "pulled " apart I imagine because of the clearances......

Take your time, keep the bench clean and well lit and make sure every part goes back where it's suppose to.

GLUCK!

Gearheadtom
12-06-2009, 06:21 PM
I just got back it from getting it apart. Everything stayed in place, and I don't have to take any of it out because I'm just fixing a leaking gasket.

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 06:44 PM
go slow and dont guess where stuff goes back together.know where and how.should be fine.good luck.

Gearheadtom
12-06-2009, 08:57 PM
I've had the clutch and every else off before, so I should be good from here. I was just worried about the transmission gears falling everywhere when I took it apart.

Gearheadtom
12-08-2009, 05:21 PM
I've been putting it back together and I've got the clutch back in, but I've been having a problem. The arm the disingages the clutch when you shift slips by the piece on the clutch when I shift. I know this problem was there before I took it apart.
What would be the best way to fix this?
I though about bending the arm a bit closer to the clutch, but I don't want to break it.
I can get pics if nobody understands my problem.

jensenracing77
12-08-2009, 06:08 PM
I've been putting it back together and I've got the clutch back in, but I've been having a problem. The arm the disingages the clutch when you shift slips by the piece on the clutch when I shift. I know this problem was there before I took it apart.
What would be the best way to fix this?
I though about bending the arm a bit closer to the clutch, but I don't want to break it.
I can get pics if nobody understands my problem.

i think i understand what you are talking about but don't know why it would do it. do you have it on the right spline/ angle? is the arm bent back toward the shaft? on the end of the arm, the side that is toward the center should be parallel to the center. if it is not it may be bent. you should be able to bend it back if that is the problem but if it is not the problem then you will need to find out why it it that way.

Gearheadtom
12-08-2009, 06:18 PM
I just bent it a little toward the clutch, and now it seems okay, but after I put the outer case back on with a gasket (I've been testing it without) it may need to be bent a little more.
Thanks for the help.