PDA

View Full Version : 250R motor I built, tranny DIED!!

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2009, 04:20 PM
I figured I'd share this with you guys, wish I took pics.......

Recently a member wanted a "long rod motor". I had rebuilt it a year ago but Honda gave us the wrong crank. I told him "we'll run it for now but if it gets noisy, lets go long rod and be done with the BS....)

So, with no manual in front of me, we both argued about which side to put the tranny guts in. I said "right side!", he said "book says left side" so I said F IT, we'll do the left side. We'll the left side install suks............ There is what I refer to as a splined A HOLE splined washer that is very difficult to get in place when putting the tranny in, but we got it with some grease to hold it in place. Then I realized I couldn't even do a "dry run" the way the 250R is set up if you assemble into the left case (as they advise). So I bitched and moaned and wasn't happy but I felt it was 100% correct, even though washers and clips kept falling off and out of place :lol:

Finished the motor and put it in. About 2 weeks later the owner goes riding and loses the tranny. The 1st thing he thinks is "Steve said to put it in the right case, FARK! what happened here??" "he's gonna tell me , I told you so!!"

He got back to his truck and noticed that the countershaft sprocket fell off :lol: and the motor and tranny were just fine :D (the C shaft sprocket was HIS JOB!!)

Anyhow, IDC what the service manual says, if you ever split a 250R motor, put the tranny in the right side!! At least then you can dry run it!! :beer
Service Manuals are lovely, but not always right :D

Dammit!
12-05-2009, 04:33 PM
What does the Clymer manual say? I've noticed a lot of times the Clymer will disagree with the factory one and 9 times out of 10, the Clymer way is a lot easier. :lol:

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 01:32 PM
good sh!t to know dc.i take it youve done right side tranny install before.

plastikosmd
12-06-2009, 04:56 PM
what is this 'manual' thing you talk of....grin

Dirtcrasher
12-06-2009, 06:22 PM
:lol:

For some F'd up reason they want the crap in the left side. I believe it's because the main bearing is is slightly looser fit in the right case and you can basically tap it together.

Butwhen the guts go in the right side, you can shift it thru all the gears and watch everything work finem so I LIKE the right side!!

Only thing is you have to pull the left case in with a spacer on the inner race and use the flywheel nut to do so. It takes awhile but it's 100% correct and won't harm the bearing.

Many people can't comprehend the difference of the ID and OD of bearings and how they MUST be dealt with. Any meatball can put it together, but I want to be the fancy sausage that gets it together once and one time right! :D

Jim mac
12-06-2009, 11:53 PM
is this on a air cooled or water cooled? Im going to be splitting the case on my 84R one of these days to fix the 2nd gear issue. jim