PDA

View Full Version : Trying to get it back together, help!

Friday9158
12-05-2009, 02:56 PM
I recently had a hub come loose on my big red, which in turn ground down the hub splines. I took everything apart in the rear end because I saw that the bearings were also bad and I might as well get it done, so I got the old bearings out and put the new ones in, seals, greased, everything. I put everything back together, axle is in, everything worked out great until I tried to put my brake hub back on. I cant get the right tire and hub back on the bike, it keeps getting caught on the pads. I put everything back in just as it came out, the adjustment on the brakes is all the way out and the shaft that pivots to put the pads against the inside of the hub is completely horizontal, I looked at it for a good hour or so and there is no way that I can bring those pads in farther so that the hub will fit over them. Anybody ever have this problem? any tips? Thanks!

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2009, 03:14 PM
Is there a ridge groove on the drum??

The pivot that opens them is perfectly parrallel to the shoe contact area?

Cables are removed?

They are the right shoes?? If nothing makes sense, I'd take them off and hold them in the drum and see if they appear to be correct.

Sometimes there is a lip on the pivot flat, you aren't sitting on that??

Friday9158
12-05-2009, 03:22 PM
The pivot is perfectly parallel, my parking brake cable is removed, my foot brake cable is still on but the wing nut is not, so the arm can move freely. The brake shoes were in there when i took it off, i did not replace them. I put everything back on as it came off except for a piece before the arm on the outside that I could not get back on, it looked like a washer that goes before or after the spring on the outside, it has grooves just like the arm, but I really dont see how that could have anything to do with my shoes expanding. Everything on the inside is compressed as small as it will go to get inside the hub, and it just will not fit.

Dirtcrasher
12-05-2009, 04:09 PM
Get out some vernier calipers and see whats up!

That washer (sometimes with a pointer) stops the arm from being too far in, I wonder if thats the issue.

I Farkin hate when I read stuff like this and I know I can figure it out but you damn guys live too far away :lol:

Friday9158
12-05-2009, 04:31 PM
Haha that would make sense about it being too far out when its in use, but I looking at it from the inside, its perfect. it doesnt make any sense to me.

Friday9158
12-05-2009, 06:59 PM
anybody have any ideas? It came apart it has to go back together. I didnt put any new parts or anything in there except for the bearings which has nothing to do with it

200xman
12-05-2009, 07:20 PM
How bad were the bearings? Maybe the backing plate is a little bent and the bad bearings allowed enough slack to make up for it? Look close as you try to put the drum on to see exactly where it is hitting and go from there. maybe the shoes wore strange because of the bad bearings?

200XMichigan
12-05-2009, 07:32 PM
did you the shoes switch positions? Maybe they wore in a way that kind of made them fit the worn drum and when you put em back on maybe they got switched?

Friday9158
12-06-2009, 04:25 PM
I tried them every way they could go. it seems like theres alot of room on the bottom but not on the top, both shoes have the same amount of pad on them though... it just seems to be hitting the top of the drum and getting caught somewhere

harryredtrike
12-06-2009, 07:34 PM
you have something backwards,or not right.this isnt rocket science.take it apart and redo the assembly.look at the manual and put back together.you have to be missing something.

Friday9158
12-06-2009, 09:57 PM
No its not at all, I understand how it works, this is not my first time working on a machine. I dont see any grooves in side the drum, I'll take another look though to be sure. Theres nothing else it can be, the shoes only sit in there one way and theres nothing else, the springs are in correctly and thats all there is. It doesnt make any sense, I'll look at the manual and make sure I'm not missing anything but I'm dont have any leftovers, i used everything except for that arm block.

litebulblsc
12-06-2009, 10:03 PM
Is this a 250es? If so I can take a look at mine tomorrow if you don't get it figured out. I can get a pic of it too

200XMichigan
12-06-2009, 10:19 PM
How much of the drum contacts the pads, if its just a little try tapping it with a hammer. While lifting on the bottom to give the top more room.

MonroeMike
12-06-2009, 10:44 PM
Are you sure you have the correct shoes?