PDA

View Full Version : ytm200 tranny not shifting . stuck in first

PAPA250r
12-04-2009, 02:43 PM
i recently had to replace 5th gear on my ytm200. i put a used trans form ebay into the trike and it shifted by hand i made sure the trans and forks were installed right before i closed up the case.

i put it back into the trike and it wont shift out of first gear and wont go into neutral either ?

any ideas on what can be wrong ? could it be i didnt put something back together correctly in the right side clutch cover ? ? ?

thanks for any help !

Yamaha_Rules69
12-04-2009, 09:18 PM
Under the right side clutch cover could easily be the problem! Take it back off, and look at the shift machanism for a start. You will never know what it is until you rip back into it! Second time has to be the charm. Did you use a manual the first time you had it apart? I would have a manual as a reference and a guide to help you on your quest. Good luck!

MonroeMike
12-05-2009, 05:08 AM
^X2, no way to know till you take it back apart and look.

thefox
12-05-2009, 09:22 AM
Does the shifter move all he way up and down easily or does it move just a little bit then stop?

Bryan Raffa
12-05-2009, 09:58 AM
try tipping it on its side ,,wile jiggleing the shifter...Not completely on its side,, just as far as you can wile on the tire's. Try tipping it both ways,,

and the pin has to be in the slot , under the clutch cover

PAPA250r
12-06-2009, 12:44 AM
i did refer to a manual while i was doing the job. the shifter does move freely up and down and feels like its actually shifting but its not .

PAPA250r
12-06-2009, 01:04 AM
would this happen is the primary clutch nut is too tight ?

im gonna open up the right side case tuesday . hopefully problem in there..lol

thefox
12-06-2009, 09:45 AM
would this happen is the primary clutch nut is too tight ?

im gonna open up the right side case tuesday . hopefully problem in there..lol

Sorry but no.

Check the shift arm behind the clutch, thats what it sounds like to me.