PDA

View Full Version : Stripping Powdercoating

hublake
12-02-2009, 10:56 AM
How easy is it to strip something that has been powdercoated?

Thorpe
12-02-2009, 11:00 AM
I think sandblasting would be your best bet...

Dirtcrasher
12-02-2009, 11:27 AM
The lady at Absolute Powder Coating told me the "PC Stripper is a waste of $$" she told me that when they screw up, they dunk it in lacquer thinner over night.

I'd imagine you would need a serious commercial sandblasting shop to remove it..........

85Tecate
12-02-2009, 11:30 AM
The guy who is supposed to do my pcing charges about 50% more to blast off powerdercoat. He says that "It does not like to come off". So i would assume you're going to need to get it professionaly removed. At my old job we made tractor rims and hammocks (weird combo huh?) anyways we Pc'd everything. On the screw ups we put them in the "burn off" oven. Its around 800+ degrees and burns the paint off. They then got a bath and sent back through the pc line. Some of our parts were also sent off to have sandblasted if they didnt fit in the oven.

hublake
12-02-2009, 12:09 PM
Thanks for the information guys, I think I will pass on the part..

Hoosier_Daddy
12-02-2009, 01:06 PM
Here is a video and links to some great paint stripper. In the video he is stripping BMX parts but this stuff will work on any part obviously. The powder coat just melts right off. This stuff is called "Klean Strips Naked Gun spray gun kleaner". Here is a link to their site. It costs less than $60 for 5 gallons of it and this place is located in Ohio. It can be used to stripp parts daily for 3 months or more. It doesn't hurt chrome, it polishes it.

http://www.sjdiscounttools.com/manufacturers-klean-strip.html

Here is a video of this stuff in action on powder coating.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4FTHc4vTxVo

I hope this helps.

Custom200
12-02-2009, 07:12 PM
Rub a trailpro against it?

BENCH
12-02-2009, 07:24 PM
I worked at an industrial powder coating business about 11 years ago and we used to burn it off with a propane torch, then sand blast smooth.

racerxxx
12-03-2009, 01:21 AM
I just chrome powdered a .22 gun barrel a few weeks back and put the clear on too hot. I put the barrel in a piece of black pipe capped on one end and filled it with acetone, let it sit for 2 days and scraped it all off with not too much effort with a razor blade. Then re-blasted it, re-chromed and cleared.

4cfed
12-03-2009, 01:32 AM
coarse grinding wheel for on a drill or angle grinder... like used for stripping paint and rust.. works good, wire wheel will take it off also but takes alittle longer...

or this

http://www.choppersurplus.com/global/articles/howtoremovepowdercoating.html

honda250sx
12-03-2009, 11:50 AM
Laquer thinner works the best. If the part is aluminum FORGET about burning it off. The part will be junk. Laquer thinner it, rinse, blast it after that. Then you must PREBAKE the part. If you do not and you powder right after blasting, you risk whats called outgassing

oldskool83
12-03-2009, 11:58 AM
would aircraft stripper work? everything ived used it on stants no chance

Micahdogg
12-03-2009, 01:02 PM
Laquer thinner works the best. If the part is aluminum FORGET about burning it off. The part will be junk. Laquer thinner it, rinse, blast it after that. Then you must PREBAKE the part. If you do not and you powder right after blasting, you risk whats called outgassing

Can you explain this "outgassing" a bit more?

cybrman
12-03-2009, 02:56 PM
would aircraft stripper work? everything ived used it on stants no chance

I've used aircraft paint remover with success before.

Outgassing is what happens when minerals, chemicals, dirt or any other foreign substance remains on the part. When you heat it up these imperfections "evaporate" or "burn" off. If you do not heat your part up first to remove these imperfections they will surface while your powder is curing, effectively ruining the job.

Micahdogg
12-03-2009, 03:09 PM
So when "honda250X" said, "Laquer thinner it, rinse, blast it after that. Then you must PREBAKE the part. If you do not and you powder right after blasting, you risk whats called outgassing." - why is it necessary to pre-bake the part? If outgassing is caused from contaminants on the surface, couldn't you wipe the part down with an all purpose paint prep?