PDA

View Full Version : Tri Moto slips while changing gears

Mytidawg
12-01-2009, 05:20 PM
Hi everyone.....great forum

I recently acquired a Tri Moto 175....1982....it seems to be slipping while changing through the gears

Someone told me the lever on the left of the bars is NOT a clutch lever.....that you do not use a clutch lever when changing gears....you just bang away and change gears....no clutch lever needed....IS THIS TRUE?

The front levers on the bars are front and rear brakes we were told......once again no clutch lever......just doesn't sound right to me....there's a section in the manual that says there is a place to adjust the clutch ......can someone shed some light on how to adjust the clutch and is there a clutch lever?...you can email me directly at

vfalcone_1@yahoo.com

Vince
San Jose CA

Vealmonkey
12-01-2009, 07:10 PM
Well, you worry me a little when you ask this. If you have this trike and it has the brake cables on it, you should be able to follow the brake cable down to where the front and rear brakes are to see that this is a true statment. Your trike does have a clutch, but the clutch works every time you lift the shift lever up or down. So that is where there is a clutch adjustment on the right side of the engine cover behind the little circular plate where you add the engine oil into. Once you get the hang of riding the yt175, then you can use your foot to actually get the clutch popping to the point where it will help you do wheelies pretty easy, but this will tend to wear out your clutch faster. Also you will find out in replacing the clutch on your 82, the the 82 and 83 yt 175 clutches are slightly different. So you have one handlebar lever cable for the front brake and you have one handlebar lever cable for the rear brake and you also have the foot brake pedal for the rear brake. I hope this helps you out. But if you want a real hand clutch like a regular dirtbike, then you find an it175 or mx175 engine, a 1977 year is best, and you steal all the innards and clutch parts out of that and you stick them into your yt175 and you will have a manual hand clutch and the it175 cylinder and piston are way better than the stock yt175 cylinder and piston as the it 175 cylinder and piston have huge porting and port timing as compared to the stock yt175 cylinder and piston. The mx175 cylinder and piston are identical to the yt175 cylinder and piston, but the mx175 has all the guts to add a hand clutch to the yt175 also. But you will still have to use the recoil starter, unless you split the cases and use the right case half and all the parts of the mx175 or the it175, then you will have a kick start- hand clutch yt175. Now you can't just put the whole mx175 engine or the it175 engine into the yt175 because the main shaft for the front sprocket is too short or narrow and the front sprocket will hit right in the middle of the lower left frame tube. So you can hop up your yt175 if you want, but it takes some work and planning out. Hope this helps you out.

old-yellow
12-01-2009, 08:14 PM
Welcome back to the forum.

85Tecate
12-01-2009, 08:19 PM
It worries me a little too asking this. I'll tell you why. If you have no clue what you're doing or how to operate this piece of machienery, get away from it. Thats how people get killed. You need to find an owners manual and read up on how to properly operate this machine. It doesnt have a manual clutch, its automatic and yes you just let off the throttle and shift to your designated gear. Please be careful when riding it as im sure were all worried now.

Mytidawg
12-01-2009, 09:36 PM
Vealmonkey

yes I did follow the cables down to brakes...rear and front brakes...so I guess I answered my own question but I wanted to make sure on this forum...so from your post you say that to adjust the clutch when shifting it is in the foot lever...and there is a plate.....I need to find my manual again....any insight as how to adjust or where to adjust......or maybe I should do it through trial and error.....hopefully not too bad a error

85Tecate....thank you for your concern I been riding dirt bikes for sometime...I do not plan on killing myself on this and do not go balls to the walls on this machine....I have read and heard about all the dangers....I can appreciate your concern and standards for the 3 wheeler forum.....I realize the dangers of the three wheelers yes indeedy and do not plan on becoming a statistic.....I know my limits....just trying to see about adjustment and lever type clutch...which I now found out is in the foot lever......

Sounds different to me to change gears and let the clutch out with the foot lever.......so it is not just changing the gears on the foot lever but changing AND moving the gears with my foot in such a way to give it more power and torque and maybe even a wheelie.....sounds pretty cool...rest assured I will be riding mellow.....anything else i might want to know as far as adjustments...i.e. "turning the nut clockwise makes it a tighter clutch grip....as opposed to counter clockwise"

and Vealmonkey.....sounds cool to make it rad like you said but Im gonna keep it stock...thank you again for any info you may have

VF

85Tecate
12-01-2009, 10:29 PM
Vealmonkey

yes I did follow the cables down to brakes...rear and front brakes...so I guess I answered my own question but I wanted to make sure on this forum...so from your post you say that to adjust the clutch when shifting it is in the foot lever...and there is a plate.....I need to find my manual again....any insight as how to adjust or where to adjust......or maybe I should do it through trial and error.....hopefully not too bad a error

85Tecate....thank you for your concern I been riding dirt bikes for sometime...I do not plan on killing myself on this and do not go balls to the walls on this machine....I have read and heard about all the dangers....I can appreciate your concern and standards for the 3 wheeler forum.....I realize the dangers of the three wheelers yes indeedy and do not plan on becoming a statistic.....I know my limits....just trying to see about adjustment and lever type clutch...which I now found out is in the foot lever......

Sounds different to me to change gears and let the clutch out with the foot lever.......so it is not just changing the gears on the foot lever but changing AND moving the gears with my foot in such a way to give it more power and torque and maybe even a wheelie.....sounds pretty cool...rest assured I will be riding mellow.....anything else i might want to know as far as adjustments...i.e. "turning the nut clockwise makes it a tighter clutch grip....as opposed to counter clockwise"

and Vealmonkey.....sounds cool to make it rad like you said but Im gonna keep it stock...thank you again for any info you may have

VF

Good to hear that. Good luck with it.

code200k
12-01-2009, 10:37 PM
been here since 07 and only 3 posts??

Vealmonkey
12-01-2009, 10:47 PM
Dawg, If you are sitting on the seat looking at the front of the trike, below your right leg, sort of under and behind the cylinder, there is a round plate that has 8 or 10 screws or bolts in it. In the middle of this plate, is the plastic piece you have to unscrew to add oil to the engine crankcase. You have to undo those screws and remove that plate. Right behind that there are 3 legs of sort of a triangle that come together and the point where they come together at is where the adjustment screw is. You have the adjustment screw and a locking nut. Find the right size box end wrench for the locking nut and then put a decent sized screwdriver in the adjusting screw and hold it securely while you turn the locking nut counterclockwise and this should break the 2 apart and you should be ready for adjustment. I can't remember wether you will turn the adjustment screw in or out, but you have to turn it so there is no play in the adjustment screw any more. Then you have to put your box end wrench back on the locking nut and then hold the adjusting screw in place with the screwdriver and then turn the locking nut clockwise to lock the adjusting screw in place. Then you put the bolts back in the round cover and tighten them up to snug, but not too tight as the cases are just aluminum and you will strip those bolts out something fierce, not good. It may take 3 or 4 times of adjusting your clutch before you get the hang of it. Now take it easy at first taking off on the yt, cause the front end wants to come up anyway. And kind of putt around a bit getting the feel for the trike cause it will try to up and bite you if you are not careful. I had a couple friends ground loop mine, meaning they popped a wheelie on themselves and put thier but in the dirt something quick! LOL A 125 is even easier to flip than the 175 as the 125 front end is lighter. Once you get the hang of it all and how the shifting feels, then have a blast. Wear your helmet. Take pictures. Let us know how all the adjusting and stuff turned out wether all was successful or not. Have fun!!!!!

old-yellow
12-01-2009, 11:10 PM
The Haynes repair manual says to remove the small side cover and adjust the clutch by adjusting the release mechanism by tightening the inner nut until the bolt can't be turned with your fingers but has no thrust play (in-and-out). Tighten the outer nut against the inner nut . If the bolt is too loose, the clutch will drag. If it is too tight, the clutch will slip.

If you need a manual here is where I got mine.
http://www.amazon.com/Yamaha-ATVs-Ow...8726608&sr=1-1

cox
12-01-2009, 11:21 PM
sweet, another tri moto. Super fun wheelie machines!!!