PDA

View Full Version : I get to work on some trikes!!

TheFamer
11-30-2009, 12:11 PM
Hey everyone!

I just was reading the local paper and saw an ad where someone needed a mechanic for vintage Honda ATCS. So i called him up and talked with him about what was going on.:TrikesOwn

He has 3 trikes, 84 200x, 84 200es, 82 110. All don't run right now. So that's where i come in.

The 200x is pretty sweet, has a cobra pipe, black fork legs, nice seat. Some minor cracks on the fenders. but over all its all there. The bad he ran it without a air filter, and never changes his oil. He did have a new plug in it. So right now i am going back out to take the carb out of the soaking/cleaning agent and will go rebuild that fast, then I gotta clean up the air box and boot then reassemble is all.

The big red, the electrical is all cut up and he is missing the key switch so he needs me to check it and get it to run. I will pick that one up when i finish the 200x. I am sure it needs a carb cleaning and oil changed, valves checked. It needs some love.

Then the 110. Did they come with electrical start? Looks like his has it and someone welded in a battery box and installed a little push button switch. He said it used to work but not anymore. He thought the battery could be out or something. This 110 needs alot of work. He said he bought a new carb for it a couple months ago so hopefully its still clean and functional.

Good thing about this guy is he deals jewelry so he has cash to buy the parts list i gave him. Last guy I work for he couldn't afford to get a carb rebuild kit and points and condenser for his atc70. Its a nice feeling.:D

i will try to get some :pics: of each of them as i clean them up.

inv3ctiv3
11-30-2009, 12:16 PM
Sweet post some pics!

oscarmayer
11-30-2009, 01:13 PM
now you need a website!
here's mine
www.mikesatvfix.com

rdlsz24
11-30-2009, 01:28 PM
More power to ya. I am so sick of working on old trikes I could puke lol. And I only work on my own.

Rob

oscarmayer
11-30-2009, 04:26 PM
^ LOL!!! yea that's the truth. I stopped posting on Craig's list because I'm tired of doing it for now. Most guys have no money and have a totally trashed out bikea nd expoect miricles for $100. I just pick and chose what I work on. I don't take work just to do it anymore. It's gotta be a nice bike from a guy with decent $ for a good build.

MonroeMike
11-30-2009, 07:14 PM
Pretty cool.

Why does he have them to begin with, leftovers from youth?

200XMichigan
11-30-2009, 07:27 PM
what makes people not change their oil? Always makes me think something is just wrong with them. I mean the minute I brought my 200X home it was the first thing I did, fresh oil. Probably do it again in a couple days to clean the inside out real nice. I mean they only use a little over 1 quart of oil, you gotta be really cheap or lazy not to change the oil. I was telling a friend that I changed the oil on my Nighthawk every 1,500 miles, he was going to 4,000 on his Ducati, he said to me "Seems like it would be hard for the bike to get used to fresh oil all the time." What?!?!?!?

TheFamer
12-01-2009, 02:55 PM
i don't know why people cant change oil. i do it all the time, after 2 tanks of gas through my XR280L i change the oil. just these past 2 months i have changed, 1 Honda TRX300FW, 1 and one more today Honda ATC200ES, 1 Honda 200X, 1 Honda XR280L, and my Nissan truck and my girls Geo. my sisters Subaru, plus my mini bikes honda 5hp.

"Seems like it would be hard for the bike to get used to fresh oil all the time." that is the funniest thing i have heard. who does that, lets there 15 thousand dollar Ducati run on oil that's dirty. its probably more money for street bikes with the synthetic oil changes than the big red. but its cheap insurance that its going to last.

he has them because he has 6 kids and wants to go ride around with them and have a good time. his oldest boys are 13 and 14. but they are not that interested. maybe because they dont run right...

last night i finished up the 200X. had to find a better chain and cut it down so i could take some slack out of the adjusters. they were all the way back. i changed the oil, new plug, new air filter, rebuilt the carb, new fuel lines and filter. maybe i kicked it 5 times before i got the idle high enough to run. made a couple quick adjustments, and BANG!! its idles just fine, started on the first kick after being warmed up. and with that cobra pipe its ohh sooo loud, so i took it out for some dirt road rallys, then into the wet grassy mud for some slides. then loaded it up in the truck and took it back, grabbed the big red. and back at it.

TheFamer
12-01-2009, 03:09 PM
Here are some photos, the side views of the big red are too big for this website rules.. but everyone knows what a big red looks like. but not many of use make it run like this.

this 200x makes me miss mine soo much. i really need to get it going again.

oscarmayer
12-02-2009, 01:29 PM
i spy a 200es control dask. :shiftyeyes:

TheFamer
12-02-2009, 08:03 PM
yeah that was the big red all torn apart.

harryredtrike
12-03-2009, 12:26 PM
boy thats a big bite to chew.sometimes it's tough to get one going and running right let alone three.good luck with your venture.make sure to check all the wear points on the machine's with no air filter.i,e. rings,valve clearance,cam chain,ect.