PDA

View Full Version : 250R Caliper Rebuild?

JohnR.
11-27-2009, 10:11 AM
I've got to rebuild the front and rear calipers on my 85 R in the next few weeks to get it ready for the ice. Does anyone know of any place that sells complete rebuild kits for them? I see a couple of different ones on ebay but I wanted to get feedback from here before I bought them.

Thanks.

John

honda250sx
11-27-2009, 05:55 PM
I'd buy OEM if you can. The aftermarket is real crappy in that dept. these days.

JohnR.
11-27-2009, 06:06 PM
Does anyone know if Honda makes a all in one rebuild kit or do I have to order all the odds and ends separately?

RodKnockRacing
11-27-2009, 08:19 PM
you are gonna have to buy your seals and o rings separately the only rebuild kits ive ever seen were for master cylinders

JohnR.
11-27-2009, 08:50 PM
Cool. Thanks for the info. I'm going to order all the O-rings to do the front and rear as well as order the bushings and boots for the sliders. I took my front one apart last year when one got hung up and found the dust seals giving me a problem, I removed them and slammed it back together to get through the season but the feel was never near right again. The same story goes for the 350X I have with an R front end on it. Even with braided lines the lever is really soft. I wonder if the dust seals don't help keep the piston tight against the pad. I'll order the stuff to fix it and see what happens after a rebuild.

John

88 Turbo Coupe
11-27-2009, 09:15 PM
I just did the rear one on my 85R. used the old piston seals since they are not leaking or damaged. Order the inner and outer piston seals if necessary. Thats all you need unless your boot(s) are ripped. If your pistons aren't leaking iv'e reused the piston seals on my 1st and 2nd gen R without issue. Just be carful when removing the seals. I use a ice pick tool with a 90 degree bend on the end. Works nice w/o tearing the seal up. The boots can be a PITA to get the slider out w/o tearing one.