PDA

View Full Version : Did I screw up my engines?

RudeDog666
11-26-2009, 03:18 PM
Without thinking about the switch from leaded to unleaded fuel I've been running unleaded fuel in my trikes that no longer run. They both have good compression (I'm feeling compression when I pull the cord) but stopped running.

Does everyone run unleaded fuel with out problems or do you run with a lead additive?

this guy
11-26-2009, 03:23 PM
well, the thing with the new unleaded fuels is that they clog up the carb jets if you let them sit for even a few weeks. I'd start there.

i58829
11-26-2009, 03:28 PM
Trikes were made after the switch to unleaded gasoline (around 71-72 the mopars went to the hardened valve seats because of it), but as of late with the introduction of 10% ethanol the average pump gas will only stay good for about 3 months inside the tank. I'd say clean the carb and drain the gas and get some fresh 93 in there and see what happens, TC...

harryredtrike
11-28-2009, 01:14 AM
unleaded gas not your problem.probably clogged jets,pilot most likely.

4cfed
11-28-2009, 02:39 AM
in a 4 stroke iv always ran a oz or 2 of carb/ fuel injection cleaner per full tank of gas to help keep the crap from building up from the ethanol..

i found a god write up on ethanol fuel.. let me find it and ill post it up

4cfed
11-28-2009, 02:42 AM
Mechanics and manufacturers say that while a 10% ethanol blend causes few problems in a car's closed fuel system, it can be a big problem in boats, whose gas tanks are ventilated. Ethanol absorbs water from the air, which can cause a motor to lose power or stall. A solvent, ethanol also picks up contaminants from storage containers. And when mixed with non-ethanol gasoline already in a tank, the blend can form a gelatinous glob that clogs fuel filters.

vented just like our atv tanks...

just something to keep in mind when using fuel with ethanol in it.. i try to buy ethanol free premium fuel when ever i can!

litebulblsc
11-28-2009, 10:37 AM
The only place I know of that sells ethanol free gas is boat marinas. And expect to pay more there.

4cfed
11-28-2009, 01:29 PM
The only place I know of that sells ethanol free gas is boat marinas. And expect to pay more there.

not around here... the gas station i worked at when i was younger has ethanol free premium, along with 2 other places in town,, sucks the gas station right by the lake we ride on sells 5%? ethanol premuim..

and aboutt he leaded/ unleaded.. like stated your machines were built wayyyy after the switch over, and even if they were that old the valve seats would wear after time and start smoking