PDA

View Full Version : Should I CAN my JUG?

racernhra
11-25-2009, 11:29 AM
I am having my motor done for my Tri Z. I wanted to have the Yamaha wrench report #2 done for a little (ok, A LOT) of extra zip.

Anyway, I go take a look and my guy got a bit carried away on the porting of my jug as I noticed some welds in the aluminum over the compression chamber that feeds compression to the fuel pump and on the side opposite.

He also talked about opening up the window in the side of the piston for more mid range???

Can someone weigh in and give me some advice? I am an ex racer so I know a bit about car engines. But, this 2 stroke stuff is new to me. I dont want to get the thing together and then have a catastrophe occur. Been there, done that.

The jug has not been bored yet but will be soon. Thanks fellas!!

T3 LOPES
11-25-2009, 11:39 AM
we need pics!

SYKO
11-25-2009, 12:13 PM
there are a few highly skilled guys who do porting on this site, but without detailed pics your pissing into the wind, Ive seen some pretty insane porting that works and some pretty insane porting that dosnt work, deffinitly post some good pics.

racernhra
11-25-2009, 01:40 PM
OK, I can go get some pics.

My main concern was welding on the aluminum. It just seems that there could be a possibility of warpage.

Yamahondaman
11-25-2009, 06:59 PM
pic's , pic's !!! HEY SYKO ......... U GIT the Swinger Bolt ? SAY IT !!! :cool:

AutoXer
11-25-2009, 07:55 PM
We need pics of your jug's.... these are big jug's because they have been modded correct?

Bryan Raffa
11-25-2009, 09:51 PM
Ya get pics,, with a good camera

Racerguy381
11-25-2009, 11:50 PM
After we see pics if it is junk I have a good stock cylinder. Only thing is its on its last bore and needs a new sleeve if you want it to be complely fresh.

racernhra
11-26-2009, 12:12 AM
I will get pics Monday. I hate to question a guys work but I have had BAD experiences before and would rather piss him off than have the thing blow up and hear excuses as to why it is not his fault. Guys, thanks for the help. I am new to this stuff and appreciate everyone's time.

Mosh
11-26-2009, 11:05 AM
The Tri-Z jugs are thinly casted, and somewhat porous.
They are hard to weld on and be done correctly.

If all was done well with the previous weld, then go ahead and run it. In other words, if it ran good and had no leaks with that weld go ahead and do your porting.
But adding the second boost port has to be done carefully so it does not get too thin towards the casting of the jug.
I had a member on here, just do a clean up port on my Z with no extra boost port added, and ran pretty damn good. Still does.
I am not sure if adding the second boost port would have made it feel all that much more powerful.

racernhra
11-26-2009, 11:15 AM
Mosh, it was a stock jug to begin with. But, the guy who does the welding is one that I would trust 100%. I wont know if it will work until I get it running but I am hoping that when I get some pics you folks will have a good idea of what I might expect.

Kinda ticked though. I just wanted the wrench report 2. I know the guy means well and is doing all he can for me but still.

Mosh
11-26-2009, 12:16 PM
It isnt uncommon to have to weld some extra meat on the casting to allow for more aggressive porting.
On my bigbore Z jug, that had to be done near the intake snout and it has been fine.
As long as the welder is good, you should be OK.

Racerguy381
11-26-2009, 03:25 PM
It isnt uncommon to have to weld some extra meat on the casting to allow for more aggressive porting.
On my bigbore Z jug, that had to be done near the intake snout and it has been fine.
As long as the welder is good, you should be OK.

Same here on my PV cylinder I welded the intake and the exhaust to beef it up for the port work. Especially the exhaust on mine since I put auxilery exhaust ports in.