PDA

View Full Version : 185S looking for more power

garretatc
11-22-2009, 10:18 PM
Alright , I know this topic has been covered over and over but I just want to clear up a few things.

First off, I have an 83 185s. I also have a 200m but I enjoy the 185 more. I just got a brand new jardine exhaust and bought a new plastic replacement gas tank, petcock and seat cover. I also ordered a front max tire ,brake parts and bearings etc. Since I'm doing all this anyway I figured a top end job and few extra Hp wouldn't hurt either.

I understand that a XR 200 cam works best over a 200x cam
A 200X or XR 200 piston will also work but I will have to check to see if I need to bore before I order.

Will I need the xr 200 carb and INTAKE? or will my intake work? Or can I use the 200X intake?

Does the 200X head have bigger valves or ports than my 185.

Can I still use my stock air box with the XR or 200X carb?

Vealmonkey
11-23-2009, 12:12 AM
Here is the big point, once you start putting much more power to the 185s/200s engine, you overpower the clutch. With the extra centrifugal clutch in there, it doesn't quite act like a normal clutch and you get alot of slippage. I keep trying to tell people they are better off hopping up a 200x because of the conventional clutch. And if you really want better performance, you use an aftermarket 200x exhaust and either run an open air filter or unless you deal with alot of mud and water, you may want to buy those vent plugs that you pop into holes you drill into the air box. If you don't get better air in, it doesn't matter how much better the exhaust is. And rejetting is very important. If you run too lean, you will melt the piston right out of it!

this guy
11-23-2009, 03:17 AM
I just don't run an air box, desert guy talking. A 2 stage uni pod filter does an awesome job of tossing loads of air into the motor, filters better than a K&N too.

garretatc
11-23-2009, 07:46 AM
Yes I realize I can run into problems with the clutch and I know about rejetting. I run Velocity stacks on my vintage street bike. I'm not going to ride hard all the time I just want to add a few horses.Could some one answer my questions? I want to know what I'm going to need so I can start looing.

atc500x
11-23-2009, 09:04 AM
Xr200 and 200x Cam are the same,the difference is the Carb,the xr200 is 2mm bigger,you can use a 200s intake but you need an adaptor to align the carb with the hole of the intake(mounting bolt fit ok )

racerxxx
11-23-2009, 09:09 AM
Guys put 185 motors in to 200X's to make Auto X's so why not put a 200X into your 185! You just gained 15cc plus a manual clutch which can take more abuse. Why go thru all the parts swapping to mod the 185 to be limited to the clutch. Mabey somone would swap you motors, that would be a win win for both. But if your looking to stay auto then this won't be a good option. Just some food for thought.

Jeckel
11-23-2009, 02:11 PM
Garretatc, I would just recommend to bore and put a Wiseco piston 10.5 in with a 200X Cam/Carb combo and A good aftermarket clutch in and that should make a significant difference. Rejeting in the process. it really just depends on how much your willing to fork out $$$. You can also mill/Port/polish head. Also Gear up or down for more torque or top end. Hope that helps some

85Tecate
11-23-2009, 04:45 PM
Its pointless to build up a 185. If you want more performance just buy a 200x. A stock 200x will outperform a 185 all day long. Then if its still not enough power, theres lots of options to build that engine up. Youre gonna do nothing but rip your clutch out with that motor. A simple gear change can give you more bottom end or top end depending on what youre looking for. Personally if i wanted more power (Which i did coming from owning MANY 185's) I moved to a 2 stroke and would NEVER buy another 185 for a rider.

garretatc
11-23-2009, 04:51 PM
Thats pretty much all I want. I've been thinking about it and i think I'll stick with the stock carb with a uni filter. XR200 cam and 10.5 piston. I already have the jardine exhaust. See how it holds up. If the larger carb is going to cause me to loose bottom end than I'll stick with the stocker. I'll keep my eyes open for a 200x or motor but there alittle rare around here. I had one years ago that i sold before i managed to finish but it had an auto motor in it. thanks guys.

oldskool83
sell it and get a dif bike or build an auto-x

The Goat
a lot of these asshats refuse to remember that sometimes money is an issue. I would hardly call a hicomp piston and a different cam to be "hopping" a machine up.

Get barnett springs, and stock honda fibers and steels for you clutch. Get a decent cam and a 10.25:1 piston. Done. Whole shebang might cost you 120 bucks. It'll run very hard for what it is.

garretatc
11-23-2009, 04:58 PM
I realize most of you guys are against the idea of building up a 185. I' rode my friends 200x many times but I enjoy my 185 just the same. Its not a high speed or agile machine but its in great shape and I like it. I figure if the 185 is in need of a top end rebuild than why replace pistons and cams with stock parts when for around the same amount you can add a few horses. Thats just my thought process. Maybe the XR200 carb was alittle much. But a 200x cam and piston don't seem unreasonable to me.

garretatc
11-23-2009, 05:01 PM
Thanks Goat...

85Tecate
11-23-2009, 05:04 PM
I realize most of you guys are against the idea of building up a 185. I' rode my friends 200x many times but I enjoy my 185 just the same. Its not a high speed or agile machine but its in great shape and I like it. I figure if the 185 is in need of a top end rebuild than why replace pistons and cams with stock parts when for around the same amount you can add a few horses. Thats just my thought process. Maybe the XR200 carb was alittle much. But a 200x cam and piston don't seem unreasonable to me.

I guess i missed the part where you were rebuilding it anyways.... They still make (i think) aftermarket cams for those if you wanted to go that route. But with a cam, and carb youre not going to feel much increase in power. Maybe a bit, but nothing spectacular. I guess most of us thought you were going to mill, port, polish, bigger valves, titanium retainers all that stuff....... But if your just looking for basic mods than yeah why not do it. If i were you i wouldnt bore it if you dont have to. You arent going to notice any more power from boring and you may run into overheating issues which will do the oposite and cause you to lose power! You can add a 200x piston i believe which would require minimal boring, but will increase compression by a bit. Or just buy a new top end for a 200m, 200es or any of those and it will bolt right on making it a 200 instead of a 185. I did this with great success and noticable power increase for the same price as a new top end.

garretatc
11-23-2009, 05:15 PM
So... the plan is to buy a uni filter, gasket kit, XR200 cam and a 10.5 piston. A slight polishing on the ports and lap the valves while the head is off. I'll see if my friend has a 200 cylinder I can have to save me from boring out my 185. I already have the carb rebuild kit and Jardine exhaust and I'll see what happens with the clutch once it becomes a runner and replace it if nec.

So if i did have to buy a new carb... stock, 200x or XR?

AutoXer
11-23-2009, 07:19 PM
30mm kehin if you can find one and buy a aftermarket cam (the 200x xr200 ebay cam isn't worth it unless your cam is worn bad) I run the 200x carb on both of our auto-x's that both have exhausts. 1 has a uni in the stok box and 1 has a k&n in the stock box. They both run good. Just a nice rebuild will give you good reliable power for a hard tail. I say go as stock as possible on the motor and use a 200x carb with your exhaust maybe a light port job if you can do it or know some one who can. No point in breaking the bank or creating problems just my .02

85Tecate
11-23-2009, 09:57 PM
30mm kehin if you can find one and buy a aftermarket cam (the 200x xr200 ebay cam isn't worth it unless your cam is worn bad) I run the 200x carb on both of our auto-x's that both have exhausts. 1 has a uni in the stok box and 1 has a k&n in the stock box. They both run good. Just a nice rebuild will give you good reliable power for a hard tail. I say go as stock as possible on the motor and use a 200x carb with your exhaust maybe a light port job if you can do it or know some one who can. No point in breaking the bank or creating problems just my .02

I agree. Dont bore the cylinder... It can cause reliability issues and you wont notice a power increase..

Jim mac
11-23-2009, 10:19 PM
after the rebuild, how about changing the sprockets to get some more bottom end? I know in a old school hotrod, you go from a 3.08 to a 4.11 and its like adding 100 cubic inches, granted it runs out at the top end real quick. jim

The Goat
02-23-2010, 05:27 PM
I agree. Dont bore the cylinder... It can cause reliability issues and you wont notice a power increase..

a boost in compression will give a pony or two...

garretatc
05-17-2010, 02:39 AM
Heys guys, its been awhile, I walked away from the 185 for awhile. I sold my 200m so now I want to play with the 185. I ended up purchasing a ebay carb for the 185 and left the motor alone. I'm ready now to do the top end and sqeeze abit more power from it. Jardine exhaust is working good with a nice grunt, went a size up on the main and one notch up on the needle. Just want to revisit this topic again... XR200 piston, XR 200 cam. polish the head ports, seat the vavles, new vavle seals, uni filter.. I will replace the clutch with barnett springs and stock fibers and steels if need be. Should I, OR can I stick with the stock carb, or should I use the 200X carb I can have from a friend? wondering about airbox fitment, airbox is a must for my riding. He also has the airbox I could possibly mod to fit.