PDA

View Full Version : i think my 350X blew up need help asap

Xowner
08-09-2003, 08:06 PM
i was riding today frist time i had the bike out since it had been bought it was sitting for 2 3 weeks so i checked oil and gas all looked good i kicked it three times it start up ( i was shocked) so i put the skid plat on it was off for cleaning loaded it in the truck got to my riding place rode it for a half hour never got it outta 3rd gear small rideing in mt grandmas yard so i was going to take a brake so i did let the trike idle for about 3 mins then shut off i went back 10 mins later wouldnt start so i pulled plug and check for fire very weak so i get a new one and put it in their and when i go to kick it theirs nothing their like its got a hole were it shouldnt ...btw it has no compression release .... :x

plz help me if u can

Thanks

Xowner
08-09-2003, 09:18 PM
now i cant get spark for it i hate this f!@*ing thing i was riding it then parke dfor 10 mins and it wont start again does any one need 350X parts b/c im serious thinking of parting it out i also have a 85 350X that i got to run once then shut off to put chain and stuff on and now it wont fire up i swear thses things hate me :x

TeCaTe_MaN
08-09-2003, 09:38 PM
maybe you burned a hole in the piston :?

Xowner
08-09-2003, 10:54 PM
wouldnt my plug show some kinda melting too?

Howard
08-09-2003, 10:55 PM
you try swapping the cdi boxes? coils and stuff?

Xowner
08-09-2003, 11:19 PM
ok then tell me when i kick it theirs nothing to kick like theirs no compression on the motor?

TeCaTe_MaN
08-10-2003, 12:36 AM
take the cylynder head off and look at the piston, it is the only way to tell

YTZ250#1
08-10-2003, 10:21 AM
if you are going to sell it or somthing how much do you want for the trike and the parts bike that don't run?

Howdy
08-10-2003, 12:09 PM
What I do to find out why a motor doesn't have compression is this:
I have a blow gun for the air compressor. I take a valve stem with the core removed, and stick it on the blow gun.

I then remove the spark plug and turn the motor over to TDC on the fire stroke. I then have a friend hold the motor ( crank ) so it won't turn over. It must remain on TDC. Then take the valve stem / blow gun and blow it into the cylinder.

Assuming the timing chain / cam is set correctly and didn't jump.
If air comes out the carb = Intake valve problem
If air comes out the exhaust = Exhaust valve problem
If air comes out the engine breather tube = Rings and or piston problems
If air comes out inbetween the cylinder and head = Head gasket problem

If the motor wants to turn over but no air leaks out the above then the motor should be good, and you will need to look else where for the problem.

Of course these aren't acurate if you don't keep the motor on TDC on the firing stroke. This test takes about 5 minutes to do and can tell a lot about a motor. If I would have did this check to the one 350x I bought in Maryland I would have seen the motor was completely Facked.
Howdy

AirManCam
08-10-2003, 09:22 PM
Good call Howdy ;)

hondaATCman
08-11-2003, 12:13 AM
Yeah, listen to Howdy. I would definately check the valves and head gasket, but I just never heard of such a problem before. Run and idle perfect one minute and no compression a few minutes later??? I think you have a curse or something. Good luck

Xowner
08-11-2003, 12:51 AM
i am cursed i had a 85 do the same thing it ran one time shut it down wont start again but its got spark i swear 350X hate me lol oh well oh btw im keeping both :D

AirManCam
08-11-2003, 01:12 AM
Haha your keeping both heh? I think you may very well be cursed lol. It ran fine one minute then didnt run at all the next minute hmm.... weird :?

ttyR2
08-11-2003, 01:47 AM
Check the valve lash as well. If it's too tight, you won't have much/any compression after it warms up.