PDA

View Full Version : Ohtsu tire quiz, what is this from?

i58829
11-22-2009, 05:59 PM
Ok i picked up an 84 250R today (pics in another post) but it has these Ohtsu's on the back. THe guy told me his buddies wife raced atv's and they took these off of her brand new machine to put on 'racing tires' I'd assume something like holeshots of the era. Anyway does anyone know what these tires are for? Are they correct for the R, if not are they worth anything? Thanks for the help in advance, TC...

They are model XA-801

dirtface
11-22-2009, 06:05 PM
If you need an extra TC, I have one that I picked up on a parts bike one time. Other than that I am no help to you.:Bounce

matt86200x
11-22-2009, 06:22 PM
Never seen that tread before.

200xman
11-22-2009, 06:51 PM
I had a set on ax SX I picked up and was curious to see what they were. This was before Ohtsu discontinued atv tires so you could still look them up. They were offered as a replacement tire but did not come stock on any machines that I know of.

i58829
11-22-2009, 08:47 PM
Hmm fair enough i never saw one with the cross webbing like that on the outside of the tire. I thought maybe it was from one of the smaller machines or something.

Doug thanks but i have 2 very nice ones, and i'm pretty sure i have a front tire laying around to slap on the R if i get around to it...

250rAL
11-23-2009, 10:51 AM
That was(is?) an aftermarket tire. It was never on any machines from the factory. I remember it being advertised as being highly puncture resistant.

petesatc
11-23-2009, 11:29 AM
yep like AL said that tire was never fitted to a ATV but sold as a option it's called a XA801 and they where ment to be puncture resistant some of the factory racers used them in the Baja and other desert races....

brapp
11-23-2009, 01:32 PM
io tought somethign similar was stock on a 200sx quad int he back??? but i could be mistaken its been years sinc ei seen a new 88 trx200sx lol

Jmoozy27
04-05-2015, 11:55 PM
io tought somethign similar was stock on a 200sx quad int he back??? but i could be mistaken its been years sinc ei seen a new 88 trx200sx lol

That's strange, I plan on putting them on my atc200sx build, although they did not come off of the 88 200sx quad that is the donor. I bought a 200s a few months ago because it had a 2 on the back. Seems like it's meant to be.

Marty
04-06-2015, 12:30 AM
I have seen a few of those those tires were sold in Hondaline back in the day. Those were used by racers at that time because those there are a few plays thicker so puncture resistance. Here in Az those were used quite often and if you ever take them off wheel you will notice by their weight those there were thicker and therefore heavier. Those are somewhat valuable but those were sold for the atc 200sx on Hondaline catalog enjoy them but take care of them.

Jmoozy27
04-06-2015, 12:47 AM
Thanks, I plan to ride em, they are in immaculate shape and they caught my eye when I spotted them on a busted up 200s. They just didn't look OEM for that trike. Awesom!!

onformula1
04-06-2015, 01:57 AM
I have seen a few of those those tires were sold in Hondaline back in the day. Those were used by racers at that time because those there are a few plays thicker so puncture resistance. Here in Az those were used quite often and if you ever take them off wheel you will notice by their weight those there were thicker and therefore heavier. Those are somewhat valuable but those were sold for the atc 200sx on Hondaline catalog enjoy them but take care of them.

You are correct.

They were in a Hondaline catalog or literature.

It still amazes me on the amount of old stuff that turns up on this board.

DohcBikes
04-25-2016, 04:07 PM
Recently acquired one of these tires and likely will not use it for anything so if anyone needs one that has decent tread and is not weather checked let me know.

Treewheeler
03-24-2024, 05:01 PM
I know this post is old as ever however, I'm in need of one of these tires I recently purchased an atc250sx with two very nice ones on the back. Hopefully I will luck out here. Its the xa-801 Ohtsu, thanks guys. I should also post a wanted ad in the classifieds if I'm allowed..

Footy
03-25-2024, 03:14 PM
I know this post is old as ever however, I'm in need of one of these tires I recently purchased an atc250sx with two very nice ones on the back. Hopefully I will luck out here. Its the xa-801 Ohtsu, thanks guys. I should also post a wanted ad in the classifieds if I'm allowed..

Yes those are hard to find. I have 2 of them but they are in use. If I see one some where I will let you know.

Treewheeler
03-25-2024, 09:56 PM
Yes those are hard to find. I have 2 of them but they are in use. If I see one some where I will let you know.

Great, thank you kind sir!