PDA

View Full Version : When do I need to adjust the auto clutch...?

unclejemima
11-22-2009, 12:52 PM
I have a couple trikes now that I acquired in the last few weeks, a 86 ATC125M, a 84ATC125M and a 81 ATC200.

The 86 and the 84 run good, and I'm giving the 81 some TLC right now, but my question is this...

They all have an auto clutch transmission that is adjustable via a outside screw/bolt that says "increase/decrease"
I'm wondering when do I need to fiddle with the adjustment on them?

The 86 is the one I'm thinking of adjusting...the clutch rpm engagement is good, but when shifting gears it feels as if the clutch is not fully dis-engaging between gears (like straight shifting a motorbike without the clutch) and it feels as if I have to use more pressure to shift that I should have to (my 84 shifts feel lighter)

Is this what the clutch adjustment does, or is it meant just to change engagement point of the clutch at a certain rpm? Can it change how much the clutch is dis-engaged when shifting gears?

Thanks kindly for any advice,

MonroeMike
11-22-2009, 01:26 PM
From the Clymer manual.

MudBug
11-22-2009, 04:47 PM
you need to adjust the clutch when you rev it up in neutral and shift up and it doesnt wheelie :lol:

unclejemima
11-23-2009, 12:01 AM
http://i303.photobucket.com/albums/nn123/cornflakejoe/clutchadjust.jpg

I have the 86 ATC125M FSM and it also says the same thing, but between the Clymer manual and the FSM, I still do not really understand when the clutch needs to be adjusted.

I figured I would go ahead and loosen the bolt, then turn the screw counter-clockwise until I felt resistance and then turn in 1/8~1/4 turn.

Problem. I turn the bolt, and then entire thing turns (the screw in the center and the bolt)

Any idea how to loosen the bolt? I did not think it would be that hard! I tried taking a 14mm open wrench and a flat head screw driver and while holding the screw with the flat head screw driver, loosen the bolt, but I can not. (the bolt is 14mm and the adjustment screw is flat head)

Any advice?
Thanks!

Thanks,

dajeepman
11-23-2009, 03:02 AM
to loosen the bolt put a flat head in the screw and hold it while you loosen the nut on the screw... then do your adjusting.. then you need to hold the screw where i needs to be and tighten the bolt and try to keep from moving the screw when retighting the bolt so you don't loose your adjustment.

unclejemima
11-23-2009, 05:19 PM
to loosen the bolt put a flat head in the screw and hold it while you loosen the nut on the screw...

easier said than done;) I will try again tonight with a little more patience :cool:

MudBug
11-23-2009, 05:48 PM
use the back of a wrench, that way you can hold the adjusting screw with a flat head screwdriver. to make it easier, when you have the screw adjusted, make a mark on the side where the slot lines up. this way when tightening it, you can check if it goes out of line.

unclejemima
11-24-2009, 04:43 PM
Great, thanks for all the help guys! Greatly appreciated!
Take care,