PDA

View Full Version : Alternative speedometer for atc's

bigworm626
11-19-2009, 04:00 PM
Hey guys,
Just thought of an idea or maybe someone has thought of this already but here me out. I just bought a digital bicycle speedometer from ebay cheap for like under $6 bucks, & I was thinking to put it on my 200s. It's pretty pratical comes with the computer unit display which comes with mounts & hardware that goes to your handle bars, a cable sensor w/ a 34in cable that you can easily strap to one your shocks, a magnet that on a cycle tightens to the spokes, but intend to just tape it to the edge of the rim (electrical tape) & wala!!. The thing that's good is that you can adjust the tyre circumference on the computer to get a better ready & it has quit a bit of range. Since hondaline speedos are hard to come by, woukd this be a good idea?
If you would like to look at the unit I bought go to ebay & type item# 200370062403.
Thx,
The worm:beer

atctim
11-19-2009, 04:46 PM
all sounds good except the tape part - gotta be a better way that will hold it better

I fear the taped on sensor would be gone after the first ride

ditchmud
11-19-2009, 04:50 PM
You can buy stronger magnets at radioshack and use jb weld to attach it to the rim. You can also use a magnet from one of those tool retrievers that they sell at the auto parts stores. I have one on my quad and it works great.

bigworm626
11-19-2009, 05:26 PM
Ditchmud,
Very true on the magnet can be rigged a better way, but my concern is how close the sensor & the magnet have to be to eachother? how far apart can they be?

ditchmud
11-19-2009, 07:52 PM
My set up was on a quad. The magnet was mounted on the inside of the rim where it would pass directly over the brake caliper. The sensor was mounted on the housing of the brake caliper. This kept it out of harms way.

On a trike: I think that I would mount the sensor on a bracket near the front axle and mount the magnet on the hub of the front wheel. This would hopefully keep the sensor from being disturbed by mud. This type of speedo system counts the revolutions of the magnet and then computes it by what you have entered as the wheel circumference so it doesn't really matter where you mount it as long as it is in a location that it will be protected. You might even consider mounting it on top of the swingarm and mount the magnet on your sprocket or brake rotor.

TrailerRider
11-19-2009, 07:55 PM
I bought one of the same type things for my 200s which is going to go on my X. I see no reason it won't work. The only thing I did worry was about the distance between the mag and the sensor. Bicycles are alot closer so a stronger mag is what I am going to use. I too was going to JB weld the mag to the rim. Good luck and let us know how it turns out. :pics:

4cfed
11-19-2009, 08:08 PM
seems like it would work.. use something strong to fix the magnet.. like jb weld or devcon epoxy...

( my 200x has a speedo set up on it. well whats left of it on the front hub)

MonroeMike
11-19-2009, 08:18 PM
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=103601