PDA

View Full Version : YTM200 and YTM200E engine differences???

mattb348
11-12-2009, 10:45 PM
I was wondering what the difference is between the engines for the ytm200 and the ytm200E.

I know that the ytm200 is chain drive, and the ytm200e is electric start & chain drive (and the ytm200e has slighter bigger tires).

But other than the drive system on the bottom of the motor, are the motors exactly the same? Do they both have the same exact carb & use the same exact jet numbers?

I have a service manual that covers the ytm200e (shaft drive version) but I have 3 YTM200's (all chain drive) that I recently purchased. Will the service manual work for the ytm200, other than when it comes to the drive system???

I'm guessing the engines are probably identical other than one has a sprocket/chain and one has a shaft.

lastly, how much lighter is the chain drive ytm200 vs the shaft drive ytm200e ???

Thanks a bunch for any help.

MonroeMike
11-12-2009, 10:59 PM
Here's a manual that covers all.

http://72.52.143.80/~trikes/ytm200&225-fm200_clymer_manual.pdf

The dry weights can be found here.

http://www.3wheelerworld.com/spexhome.shtml

mattb348
11-13-2009, 01:40 AM
Thanks for the info.

I dont think that the specs that you showed me are accurate though; it says that both the chain drive and the shaft drive versions both weigh exactly the same.

MonroeMike
11-13-2009, 03:00 AM
Good catch, I never even noticed that on the 83 page, I looked at the 84 page.

The 1985 dry weights, should be the same.

YTM200 271 lbs.

YTM200e 322 lbs.

http://www.files.3wheelerworld.com/Sads/sYam1985TriMotos4.jpg

thefox
11-13-2009, 10:11 PM
As you can see, yes they are very similar.

Here is what I have found (and can think of right now), but I am no YTM expert.

Top ends interchange and are basically the same, the only differences are the ’83 200 uses a 1 spring can chain adjuster and the others use 2 springs so the adjuster screw is different. The whole adjuster does still interchange though.
And the 200 has an attachment point for the decompression cable on the exhaust valve cover (and a cable holder under one of the cylinder head bolts) where the 200e has a wider tab on the decompression lever so it can be flipped manually. The levers an be switched if you want (but who uses it anyways?).

Exhausts are the same

The ’83 uses a different carb. and intake then the newer 200 and 200e. I suspect it was changed to the same style as the 200e midway through ’83 but I am not sure. I want to say the 1984 – 1985 200 use the 200ERN carb. which is a different model number then the 200e. I don’t know what the physical difference is, they look the same and all the parts interchange. I think the jets are the same but I would have to check my book.

Clutches are interchangeable (the centrifugal clutch alignment tabs were changed slightly at some point in the 200 and 225 lineup but they all interchange). Basically from the clutch cover to the case half the motors are the same.

Transmissions are different if I am remembering right. The gearing is slightly different, I don’t remember if all the gears are different but several years ago I had both trannys apart and I think I tried to use 1st gear from the shaft drive tranny in the chain drive tranny and it wouldn’t work. That is something I would have to double check though.

I don’t remember if the right case is the same but the left case is different between the 200 and 200e. The output shaft on the 200 has an oil seal around it with a tab to hold the seal in place, the 200e does not have a seal and or tab.

The left side cover that bolts between the center case and pull starter is different. Yamaha had to chance the casting slightly so that the driveshaft cover would fit in there. The left cover is also deeper on the 200e to accommodate for the electric starter gear that is on the rotor.

Pull starters are different. The 200 has a automatic decompression mechanism in it so the case is wider (although it is very, very rare to still have this hooked up). You can use the 200e pull starter on the 200 and I think there is just enough room to squeeze the 200 pull starter on the 200e (remember it has that wider side case) but I can’t remember right now.

Wow, that is a long post. Probably more detail then you need but hey, what else am I going to do when babysitting my sisters’ kids…