PDA

View Full Version : Tri-z Stator Removal

Just-Tri-It
11-10-2009, 02:36 AM
I've read several threads on removing the flywheel so the stator can be removed from an 85 Z and it seems you need a special tool to do this. The manual doesn't go into detail on this issues as I can see. Once I removed the cover it seems the only thing holding the flywheel on is a nut about 20mm in size (if it's metric ). That bolt does have to come off doesn't it and in a lefty loosey turn. Or do you still need the tool once the nut is off? I just don't want to screw up any of the parts or screws when I do this. If I need the special wrench then I'll hold up til I can get one.
Thanks.

ATC-Eric
11-10-2009, 03:02 AM
The nut needs to be removed (lefty loosey), and I would most definitely suggest the correct flywheel puller. The flywheel still hangs onto the crank pretty good. Its a pain to wait for shipping, or to spend the extra dough, but having the right tool for the job makes a world of difference!

Best way to loosen that nut without the help of an impact is to put the bike in gear, have a friend hold the rear brake, and loosen it. If you dont keep it from moving it will just turn the engine over.

Good luck!

Bryan Raffa
11-10-2009, 07:30 AM
yes you need that puller

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/85-86-YTZ-250-Tri-Z-Flywheel-Puller-Tool_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQhashZitem3ef9bc2091QQitemZ2 70477828241QQptZMotorsQ5fATVQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

DeePa
11-10-2009, 09:54 AM
raffa, those pullers from bikerbitch never work right on my z flywheels. I wet through 6 of them, and went and bought a motion pro one. Its cheaper and works perfectly. Those cheapo ones threads are too sharp and need to be filed down to work correctly.

honda250sx
11-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Motion pro is the ONLY way to go IMO.

Just-Tri-It
11-10-2009, 12:00 PM
Does any one know the Motion Pro Puller Part Number so I get the right one?
There's no listing for the YTZ250 just the YZ250 (#08-0026). If this is the right one I can get it locally.
Thanks

DeePa
11-10-2009, 01:07 PM
http://www.motionpro.com/motorcycle/partno/08-0026/

yeah that one you have is right. Here is a link

Just-Tri-It
11-10-2009, 08:09 PM
If at first you don't succeed it's because..You didn't check in at 3WW. Thanks fellows. It's like I tried to tell em in Detroit in '43. I said 'boys, when you got the right tool and the right info it ain't nothing to it.'
That flywheel came off so fast I put it back on and took it off twice!
Ran by the atv shop and picked up that Motion Pro Puller, stopped by the Sonic and got me a chicken strip dinner and come in and popped that rotor off before the chicken even got cold.LOL :D
Thanks for all the help. Got the stator out but I think she's bout 'stated' all she can. Try to get it rebuilt or replaced. May try to get it power up a little more than stock. Thinking bout putting some extra lights on the bike.
Thanks again.

honda250sx
11-10-2009, 08:50 PM
Send it to Mike at RickyStator. They did mine and I was thoroughly impressed! $125 plus shipping. Can't beat it. Why buy used when you have no idea what your getting.

I like a guy that does it right. Let alone one that eats my favorite meal! Good job man!

brrcuda
11-11-2009, 11:01 AM
Just bought my MP puller - thanks for link deepa.

Went through like 4 of those ebay jobbers..

retiredmxer
11-11-2009, 02:02 PM
Ran by the atv shop and picked up that Motion Pro Puller, stopped by the Sonic and got me a chicken strip dinner and come in and popped that rotor off before the chicken even got cold.LOL :D

That is funny :lol:

as a side note...they must put something in those sonic cokes cause I am totally addicted