PDA

View Full Version : silencer repack

TRI Z Racer
08-07-2003, 10:03 PM
i think that all the paccking in my silencer is gone, because its way louder then i think it should be, compared to an 88 250R with an fmf and a blaster with an fmf, i have an 85 tri z with a dg. does the silencer act as a form of bac kpressure to increase compression? could someone please explain this all ?

Wickedfinger
08-08-2003, 11:26 AM
In simple, most properly designed performance silencers, mufflers, stingers, resonators .... whatever you want to call them, use the exhausts sound waves and pressure pulses to create negative pressure to extract exhaust gases more efficiently from your exhaust pipe. Your major manufacturers have a couple of different designs that help you do this - FmFs "turbine core" for example. On 2-strokes though a good pipe makes much more of a difference in the extraction process than just a silencer bolted on. A properly tuned pipe and silencer are the key to a 2-strokes performance. The silencer packing is necessary to cut down on noise and properly "buff" the silencer in its extraction process. The fiber "baffles" of the packing fit around a metal core and replace the more durable but much heavier metal baffles of conventional "factory" type silencers. Again though, this lightened weight comes at a cost - it breaks down rather easily under normal riding conditions and is usually a bit "louder". Most aftermarket companies recomend you replace your packing every 10hrs or so. This theory also goes against the inanely popular belief among most of the younger riders on this site and others that think "Louder is Faster". The aftermarket systems are louder than stock units but running a silencer with no core or blown packing will actually decrease performance.

Howard
08-09-2003, 10:24 AM
Humm i didn't know that. my 350x has the cobra on it and the core came out the other day and there was no packing in it at all. i was looking around and i guess the packing is just some fiberglass looking insulation? pretty cheap too. the 350x is loud as hell and i wouldn't mind to cut it down some as long as i wouldn't loose any performance from repacking it. but since you said that maybe i should buy the cheap repacking kit and go ahead and do that?
Thanks for the tip.
Anyone else hav any more tips/input on this?
Thanks, Howard

Dynofox
08-09-2003, 12:00 PM
TRI Z Racer, my tri z with a full dg system is louder than any other 2-stroke i've ridden with including pipe 250r's and blasters. Your silencer still may need a repack though. All you have to do is take the 4 bolts out of the end of the silencer and the core comes out so you can check it or repack it.