PDA

View Full Version : C.D.I box ???

The_dew_man
08-07-2003, 04:17 PM
if the cdi box is bad would that cause it to run bad at wide open or would it do it all the time say at midd range.

short4stuff
08-07-2003, 05:03 PM
I am not sure but I think if the CDI is bad that the trike would not start. anybody correct me if I am wrong.

jeswinehart
08-07-2003, 05:46 PM
from what i've seen in the honda manuals is that weak spark or no spark,,,,,, check and or replace cdi box.
i have had coils cut out at higher rpm,,,,

that's about it for me + my input,,,,

john

MR ATC
08-07-2003, 05:48 PM
your C.D.I. box eother works or does not. there is no inbetween

Howdy
08-07-2003, 06:19 PM
your C.D.I. box eother works or does not. there is no inbetween

Actually I had a 350x that ran like crap. The only thing we replaced was the CDI box and it ran great. It would idle but would act like it was only firing 1/2 the time when you gave it gas. I have only ever seen this one like this. All the others I have ever seen bad was like MRATC said. They didn't work at all.
Howdy

The_dew_man
08-08-2003, 03:28 AM
im going to try my friends cdi and see if that will work

TG
08-08-2003, 09:23 AM
Yes, it definitely can, not from an outright failure, but due to weakness and/or vibration. The ignitions naturally lose power as speed climbs and any losses aggrivate it at high speed.

TimSr
08-08-2003, 09:27 AM
A CDI problem is nearly impossible to diagnose because of the wide range of symptoms. They rarely fail so they are usually the last resort, and you only find out by swapping it out. A guy here has a Banshee that would idle fine, but start breaking up badly every time he gave it any throttle. He struggle with this for a long time, and as a last resort, borrowed a CDI to try, and problem was solved.