PDA

View Full Version : Alright Boys, Here She Is!

Just-Tri-It
11-07-2009, 09:41 AM
Well I guess I'm bout ready to take on the 86 Z motor rebuild. For the first time I might mention. Y'all gather round. But not too close. Don't want you drooling all over it. Water doesn't mix well with the oil you know.
So this could be called 'Rebuild For Dummies' or 'How To Do It Right The First Time.'
So in order to rebuild it I know it has to come off the frame but after that what special tools and steps to take for a good rebuild. What to do myself and what to have others do? Where to get parts other than dealer. I believe I want to go back pretty much stock so all the holes line up but we'll see as we progress...and we will progress.
I want to put this on my 85 so if there are issues there I need to know up front so I can address the problem. I want a good motor so when I'm rounding up the cows they can hear me coming. The wife says I shouldn't use the motor trike to round em up cause she's already replaced the bell on the lead cow 3 times. I told her to wipe the snuff off the corner of er mouth and just leave the cow rouding up to me. Them bells don't cost that much no how.
SO if you fellers can help me out here as I update you on where I'm at on the rebuild I sure would be grateful to ya.
Now let me find my cane and get on out to the Z as I gotta go round em up fore night fall.
Thanks

Mosh
11-07-2009, 10:16 AM
The Z engines are pretty damn simple to rebuild.
You need a flywheel puller,and automotive Harmonic balancer puller, or Motion pro crankcase splitting tool, to seperate the cases..
A good shop press for changing the crank bearings, and a blind hole bearing puller for any trans gears that need replaced.

Corey Sprock.... when it comes to good prices for cranks, bearings, seals and gaskets, he cant be beat for Z parts.
Here is a link to Bottom end rebuilding that will help you..
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=96672

Whatever you do, Get a Sprock Water pump,and Base gasket..It will over come the major flaws of the Z engine..

One more thing, when you split the cases, There is a small gear on the stator side of the trans input shaft..(I know the 85's have this gear, but the 86 trans May be different).That gear goes on 2 ways, but only 1 way is correct, and is not retained to the trans shaft, meaning it can come off very easy and be put back on the wrong way and gouge the trans input shaft bearing.
Pay careful attention for any thrust washers that stick to the cases as soon as you split them, and put them back on the trans shafts where they belong before preceeding any further.
When I pull the trans cluster out, I use a Zip tie to retain the free floating gears from falling off the shaft and being installed in the wrong direction.Then I sperate each shaft 1 at a time in order, and clean everything and inspect them.You will also need snap ring pliers for the trans retainer clips..

I can help you threw it, Bryan Raffa knows them in and out as well,
Dirtchrasher, has some good posts, and tips on the boards on how to remove and install crank bearings, drilling, tapping, and using presses.
His 20 day 200x Build thread, has some good tips in it, on engine rebuilding..
http://www.3wheelerworldforums.com/showthread.php?t=84010&highlight=200x
It has some really good comprehensive info in there, but it is a long thread and you have to weed through it to find certian tips.

Contact ATC eric for Sprock Parts..

eyecekold1
11-08-2009, 04:02 AM
Only thing I can think of that Mosh didn't say is, if you plan on an entire build you will want a better crank rod the stock ones bend. Happened to my brother in law and I have heard it mentioned as a weak spot in the tri-z.
Good luck, everyone loves pics of builds. :)

MonroeMike
11-08-2009, 04:27 AM
Good luck on the rebuild.

Bryan Raffa
11-08-2009, 10:35 AM
lets.... Git it ON!:w00t:

oscarmayer
11-08-2009, 11:55 AM
heck sounds liek ya may jsut want to seonf it top mosh to fo the bottom end and then finish the top yourself. ;) if they make one, go with a weisco piston.