PDA

View Full Version : Are the jets all the same for all mikuni or keihin carbs?

mattb348
11-06-2009, 10:44 AM
I was just wondering, do all of the mikuni carbs (in general) use the same jets? I know they obviously don't all use the same size jet number, but are they all interchangeable?

Or are jets made specifically for each model? (IE: mikuni vm22).

And what about keihin carbs? Same deal?

Dirtcrasher
11-06-2009, 10:53 AM
No and no.....

Matter of fact to everyone buying the 30$ carbs, plenty of those have jets and gaskets that are entirely different from the original manufacturer of the carb, such as the Keihin knockoffs. My deler didn't have anymore than 1 jet is his box filled with numerous other jets......

mattb348
11-06-2009, 12:21 PM
No and no.....

Matter of fact to everyone buying the 30$ carbs, plenty of those have jets and gaskets that are entirely different from the original manufacturer of the carb, such as the Keihin knockoffs. My deler didn't have anymore than 1 jet is his box filled with numerous other jets......

I was talking about with the OEM carbs.

And how about the main jet? I noticed that many of the pilot jets are different, but the main jetts all seem to look the same, and are 6mm hex.

Or are the main jets different (other than the number/size) as well?

oscarmayer
11-06-2009, 12:30 PM
the mikuni jets are different but can be purchased from several on-line dealers.

Dirtcrasher
11-06-2009, 12:51 PM
Some main jets are different lengths, and are known to rev to the moon as they don't work with different float heights.......

IDK abouh that particular carb, is it a round head, short hex or long hex head??

boosted96cobra
11-06-2009, 03:44 PM
If your comparing an older keihin hex vs a mikuni hex jet, the mikuni is shorter. The numbers are no were close.

Now if you have an older mikuni that takes the hex, then yes it can use any older mikuni 6mm hex jet. They come in steps of 10, so if your at a 220 jet step up would be 230 step down 210.

Same goes for the older keihin 6mm hex. The steps are way diffrent. The numbers are way lower. I have taken off a mikuni running a 250 jet and ran a similar keihin and jetted in around 160. The steps are wierd. Sometimes 2 sometimes 3. Take the 150 range, I know I have a 150 152 155 158 in my box. I have seen some older shorter ones but I have never had issues running the longer normal hex jets.

You should never mix the jets though, if it is a mikuni carb run mikuni jets in it.

I always take any bike I own and if the jet is close, or when I find the close one, I go get 4 or 5 steps up and down. I always have jets so my bike always runs how it should. People never understand this, they always want to mess with a/f screws and such that has little to no bearing on main jet jetting. I have even jetted a step down just because I was on a long ride and my airfilter was getting dirty. Beats trying to clean it and dry it while riding.

http://sudco.com/ should have most of your information that your looking for.