PDA

View Full Version : Street Legal Trikes

inv3ctiv3
11-06-2009, 02:59 AM
So a lot of people around my town are adding little two strokes to their bicycles and it's totally street legal. All you do is send in a form, wait a few weeks and they send you a plate to ride on the road. My friend is building one right now and that got me thinking, I'd like to make a street legal trike and I found people make conversion kits! Has anyone done this?

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/component/page,shop.product_details/flypage,shop.flypage/product_id,178/category_id,74/manufacturer_id,0/option,com_virtuemart/Itemid,1/vmcchk,1/

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/images/trike_gas/trikegas2.jpg

http://www.spookytoothcycles.com/images/trike_gas/trikegas1.jpg

Zach
11-06-2009, 04:21 AM
thats pretty cool. I like anything with a motor on it!

factoryX
11-06-2009, 04:22 AM
my friends has one, they are the most under tuned motor I have ever seen. No top end and no bottom end just something help you pedal....

inv3ctiv3
11-06-2009, 12:59 PM
my friends has one, they are the most under tuned motor I have ever seen. No top end and no bottom end just something help you pedal....

Weird your friends must have gotten real shitty engines, the people I know that have them do + 40mph and have good acceleration too.

Micahdogg
11-06-2009, 02:25 PM
That's not legal in Illinois. You'll find that the laws differ quite a bit from state to state.

Around here it wouldn't be hard at all to street legal a 3 wheeler though since there are already provisions for 3 wheeled motorcycles (which is what it would be classified as).

The reason 4 wheelers or side-by-sides can't be made street legal though is because when it has 4 wheels, it is classified as a "passenger car" by the USDOT and therefore must meet the Motor Vehicle Safety Standards that say a Honda Civic would have to meet. In cases where side-by-sides or golf carts are legal for street use, you usually find a local ordinance that makes them so.

There was a guy not long ago selling a Tri-Z with a 426 or 450F motor swap on Craigslist and I think he lived in Missouri. It would be a cop magnet and constantly get you pulled over though so you better make sure your tread depth, etc.. everything is within code :)

factoryX
11-06-2009, 04:20 PM
he got the standered 70cc motor. it gets up and moves but its pretty lame.

inv3ctiv3
11-06-2009, 04:46 PM
he got the standered 70cc motor. it gets up moves but its pretty lame.

It goes on a bicycle and is a cheap chinese motor what do you think it's gonna be like riding a 250r? :rolleyes: Most of my friends say they are a lot of fun for riding around town which I would want to do with it.

factoryX
11-06-2009, 09:11 PM
no, these are not made in china! and no, if it is indeed a 70cc 2 stroke motor there should at least be idk a little bit more power. these things cant climb a 3-5% grade! And with another 26inch wheel, good luck with that. you'd have better luck strapping a 5hp briggs and stratton motor in there. Also, i can out run him on my dirt jumper...

lndy650
11-06-2009, 09:33 PM
all it takes is a die grinder and a mind to speed it up....

factoryX
11-06-2009, 09:35 PM
my friend has one, they are the most under tuned motor I have ever seen. No top end and no bottom end just something to help you pedal....

Exactly what I said. the pipe is tiny, the air filter is tiny, with these items fixed and a great port job this could be cool.

lndy650
11-06-2009, 09:43 PM
ya that pipe is a piece of crap lol a tuner pipe alone would wake it up immensely i bet

factoryX
11-06-2009, 09:50 PM
more or like a kx65 pipe..

ATC-Eric
11-07-2009, 01:39 AM
Theres a local guy that does that to bikes, pretty cool! He told us he will do it to ANY bike for $400.