PDA

View Full Version : 1st gen vs. 2nd gen r

buck14
11-02-2009, 08:22 PM
Hi this week i will be looking at a 1st gen 250r. i like to do small jumps and some trails. i was wondering if the 1st gen 250r handles jumps very well or if a 2nd gen 250r would be a better machine. Id like to hear some opinions on which is better and why. Thanks

Vealmonkey
11-02-2009, 08:26 PM
What is your idea of small jumps? And what year R. Some people call the 81 and 82 R the first generation, I personally believe the 81 is the first generation R as the 82 was different with the disc brake, but most people lump the 81 and 82 together because of the wide front tire. The 81 and 82 both will handle jumps just fine. The 83-84 had a little more power than the 81-82 and the frame was a little beefier, but they were a fine trike and you just can't replicate the personality the 81 and 82 R have with that wide tire, classic lines.

4cfed
11-02-2009, 08:30 PM
iv owned both.. a 81 and a 84... 81 was fine straight line but the 84 was abetter all aaround machine.. turned better slide better jumped better, stopped better, felt more stable

buck14
11-02-2009, 08:42 PM
i consider the 81 and 82 1st gen and 83 and 84 2nd. by small jumps i mean 20 or 30 feet tops. i like the way the 1st gens look but i wasnt sure if it handle very well with the big front tire and if it would handle jumps with the way the suspension is set up on them. thanks for the responses

Vealmonkey
11-02-2009, 08:43 PM
There is no feeling like pitching a wide tire trike sideways! The 83 and later can't compare to an 81 or 82 or any other wide tire trike when it comes to that.

Saul
11-02-2009, 09:05 PM
If you look at true changes over the years you would understand why the 81/82 models are called 'first gen' by 99% of the trike community & 83-84 the second generation.

The changes between 81 & 82 are so small it would be silly to wanna seperate them into different 'generations' .... now when the 83R hit the floor it had enough significant changes (frame, forks, skinny tire, tank, plastics, pro link etc etc) that it was truely the 'second generation' of the ATC 250R - then in 1985 Honda again made enough significant changes/advances to again define yet another generation of ATC 250R.

Dirtcrasher
11-02-2009, 09:41 PM
I have always really loved the look of the 83/84 AC 250R's and they had plenty of improvements over the 81 and the 82R. IDC for any of the drum braked trikes, but it DOES get the job done just fine, I'm just not a big fan.

However, if you saw the 81 250R that FABIODRIVEN has, you might have a tough choice to make :lol: She's a thing of beauty!!

The 83/84 R are a bit unique and everyone wants the liquid cooled 85/86R.

But, esp. if you don't like wrenching much, the 83/84R can be a bit less to deal with when replacing a top end and dealing with coolant, pumps, hoses etc etc. I'd just point out that being an air cooled 2 stroke engine, it's important that the piston to cylinder clearance and jetting are in spec or in tune with the exhaust, air filter and conditions.

Of course any LC 250R is as reliable as a Toyota truck, but they're also a bit more expensive than the AC models. I'd never turn down a nice 83/84R, I honestly love the way they look; they scream NASTY!!

IMO :lol:

Saul
11-02-2009, 09:46 PM
Second Gen! Nasty is right DC!
http://airfoolers.com/wp-content/themes/airfoolers/airfoolers/images/bgimage/img_5.jpg

buck14
11-04-2009, 09:59 PM
which generation of air cooled 250r would make a more reliable machine? do the first generation r's put up with abuse as well as the second gens? are the first gens harder to get parts for because they are older or are they fairly easy to find parts for? the one i am considering buying sounds like it needs some work. thanks for the help any opinions are welcome

88 Turbo Coupe
11-05-2009, 07:49 AM
All 3 "gens" will do anything you want them to do as long as you set them up right. Reliability has never been an issue. Parts still available. But. if you plan to beat the piss out of it things will break.

lndy650
11-05-2009, 08:22 AM
reliability comes in with the foolers when people leave mud caked on the engine and dont pay attention when thier enine becomes extemely hot and has a meltdown. so keep your fins clean and keep an eye on the temp

SYKO
11-05-2009, 09:34 AM
save your money and just get a waterpumper.

pipeline triker
11-05-2009, 10:28 AM
I have this 82 250R. it has a lot of mods, built 84 engine, front end, extended swing arm and some other stuff. it is a crazy fast trike, straight line fast and fun. it does handle jumps nice, but none of the suspension is stock. What I am not wild about is the rake of the front end on the first gen R's. Mine with the extended swinger has a huge turning radias, it has a weird feel when you hop on it from one of my other trikes. If the price seems fair go for it they are fun and fast, and easy to make better.

Saul
11-05-2009, 11:16 AM
which generation of air cooled 250r would make a more reliable machine?

1st off - you'll probably get a bunch of blow hard, know it all, ignoramus coming in here soon telling you to buy a liquid cooled R (85 and up) - That's the common trend here it seems. :rolleyes: Ignore them. If you can find a 81-84 Aircooled R for a half decent price snag it.

None of these bikes are more reliable then the other. The owners and riders dictate how reliable any machine is over it's lifespan.

A properly maintained Airfooler (http://www.airfoolers.com) will be just as reliable as any other bike, both engine and suspension wise if you stay on top of the upkeep.

Like said, keep the engine clean around the cooling fins, good premix, proper jetting etc etc .. stay on top of that and you'll be find.

do the first generation r's put up with abuse as well as the second gens?
Sure they do. Again, it's all in the upkeep.

are the first gens harder to get parts for because they are older or are they fairly easy to find parts for? the one i am considering buying sounds like it needs some work. thanks for the help any opinions are welcome

No shortage on 1st gen parts IMHO. Pretty basic things needed to maintain these bikes and all of it (pistons, rings, bearings) is available new.

But I mean, pretty much any part you could want or need is available on ebay or from fellow airfooler owners (http://www.airfoolers.com/forum).

I hope you buy it. Nice to see an old Fooler bought, rescued & ridden instead of junked and parted.

:TrikesOwn

Mosh
11-05-2009, 01:34 PM
Good luck finding a good seat pan for the 81-82 250R..at least the 83-84 pans were made from long lasting plastic..

Saul
11-05-2009, 01:37 PM
Good luck finding a good seat pan for the 81-82 250R..at least the 83-84 pans were made from long lasting plastic..

We're working on having the first gen pan reproduced in plastic. It's probably the biggest piece of the puzzle towards really restoring the first gen properly.

I'd imagine you guys have seen some really poor looking first gen seatpans come through the shop huh?

buck14
11-05-2009, 09:49 PM
thanks for the help everyone. i will not get a liquid r because i have basic skills and knowledge so i think an airfooler will be easier to work on for me.i have been having a hard time contacting the seller but hopefully i hear from him soon and i can start bring a first gen r back to life. thanks again for all the replies.

daniel_250r
11-05-2009, 10:12 PM
imo you are better off with a water pumper. 2 strokes are built to scream and they get hot doing it my buddy 4 corner seized his 250r just after a top end rebuild, could have been due to no break in. my old rm80 was water cooled all you had to do was drain the coolent via unattaching one of the hoses, it wasnt that bad

lndy650
11-06-2009, 06:38 PM
^ya like you said could have been from beating the piss out of it right after a rebuild. especially with air cooled 2 strokes break in is very important...